autism assessment waiting list.

I’ve previously had a GP appointment to have an assessment made for autism.

It has since been 81 days since my appointment with my GP and I’m still awaiting a date for an assessment. Has anyone been been through this process?

Also, just a random question. Does anyone else like wearing hoodies even when it’s hot?

(UK)

Parents
  • I have been through the rounds of form filling. I have now been told that I am on the referral list for ASD assessment - but the wait time is 7-8 years! How can that be right. My mental health is suffering & I need support to manage my professional & personal relationships. After years of self analysis & coming to realisations about how my mind works... I just feel abandoned.

• That’s even worse than the 3 year waiting list here! It’s absolutely dreadful and we have as you put it, been abandoned. There is a part of me that thinks that maybe they hope we’ll put it to the backs of our minds and struggle along as we have always had to prior to the referral. I’ve been in and out of doctors with mental health issues since my teens and have massively struggled to fit into the roles that society dictates that we should. Surely offering us the correct diagnosis, help and support would be better for everyone in the long run… I really understand how disappointing it is.

• Thank you. It helps to have a community to talk to. Expecting people to wait for years for diagnosis & support is just disgraceful. If it were a physical issue & could be seen... This wouldn't fly. 

Reply Children
  • I have a phone call booked with my GP for the 7th of August. Definitely going to query the Right to Choose option. Thank you for the advice. 

Regards the follow up support, even being able to categorically tell people I am autistic will make me feel as though there could be growth & understanding in my relationships. Currently it is very difficult to manoeuvre in my social & professional life.

• I agree that it's disgraceful. My wait on the NHS was just over 2 years and that was bad enough.

As mentioned already you can go through the 'Right to Choose' pathway and reduce waiting time considerably. I have seen posts on here from people who were assessed within a few months using that route.

Just to make you aware (and save disappointment later), any support post diagnosis is pretty much non existent in most areas