autism assessment waiting list.

I’ve previously had a GP appointment to have an assessment made for autism.

It has since been 81 days since my appointment with my GP and I’m still awaiting a date for an assessment. Has anyone been been through this process?

Also, just a random question. Does anyone else like wearing hoodies even when it’s hot?

(UK)

Parents
  • I'm in Northern Ireland and was told 5+ years for an adult diagnosis (which was better than when I was 19 and told I was autistic and that there was no service for adult diagnosis at all back then). I was lucky that my university's disability department reimbursed me for half my private assessment fee as I needed immediate access to support and therefore an immediate diagnosis. I waited ~3 months for my assessment privately. I am able to get access to support at University now but I have been on the list for ASD intervention services for over 3 years now and still don't know when I will get support from the NHS.

I am also most likely ADHD and on the waiting list for that. Currently in my area there is no service at all for ADHD diagnosis and private assessments won't be accepted by the NHS. 

The whole thing is a bit of a nightmare and a waiting game - sorry you are having to wait and don't have an official date to count down to yet. Sadly there are whole generations of Autistic adults that were missed when we were kids because we weren't 'severe' enough in the healthcare systems eyes or because we don't present exactly as the textbooks describe. It's very frustrating and I'm sure everyone here can empathize. 

Also, I love a good hoodie but it's bathrobes and PJs all the way for me :D

• I'm in Northern Ireland and was told 5+ years for an adult diagnosis (which was better than when I was 19 and told I was autistic and that there was no service for adult diagnosis at all back then). I was lucky that my university's disability department reimbursed me for half my private assessment fee as I needed immediate access to support and therefore an immediate diagnosis. I waited ~3 months for my assessment privately. I am able to get access to support at University now but I have been on the list for ASD intervention services for over 3 years now and still don't know when I will get support from the NHS.

I am also most likely ADHD and on the waiting list for that. Currently in my area there is no service at all for ADHD diagnosis and private assessments won't be accepted by the NHS. 

The whole thing is a bit of a nightmare and a waiting game - sorry you are having to wait and don't have an official date to count down to yet. Sadly there are whole generations of Autistic adults that were missed when we were kids because we weren't 'severe' enough in the healthcare systems eyes or because we don't present exactly as the textbooks describe. It's very frustrating and I'm sure everyone here can empathize. 

Also, I love a good hoodie but it's bathrobes and PJs all the way for me :D

Children
No Data