Very Lost and isolated but that's okay

This is my first time posting anything like this, I find social media to be very intimidating and so I'm hoping this might be a safe space. Sorry if it's kinda long.

I'm eloa, 21 years old and am currently awaiting my official assessment with a suspected 2.5 year waiting list. I recently finished around 6 months of therapy in which I found out that I might be autistic. My therapist was "99.9%" sure I had high-functioning autism and after a ton of personal research into it I realised that I had finally found some answers to why I am this way. To say I'm lost would be an understatement, I've never fit in with any group around me and even feel isolated from my family. I have a lot of mental health problems coming from a lot of trauma and so it's been very difficult trying to find out what specifically is causing so many issues for me but reading some books such as "The reason I jump" really made me feel like I might not be alone. 

I have never met anyone like me in my life, even my therapist who works extensively with people on the spectrum told me that I was a very unique and interesting person to assess, still not sure wether this is a compliment or not? Anyway I find myself being isolated socially for a majority of my time as the mix of having autism with my other mental health issues has created quite the combo to deal with.

I have 1 friend I talk to occasionally and growing up I was able to have 1-2 people I was friendly with around me from time to time but the distance between us mentally just made me feel even more alone. Life is very hard, very tiring and stressful, I feel completely mentally isolated from anyone my age and so I have always tended to be on my own. I find pretty much everything on a day to day basis exhausting and unrewarding. I tend to focus on my art and my few obsessions to help get me through the days but I can never shake that overwhelming feeling that I just don't think I'm meant to be here.

I feel very much lost, frustrated and overwhelmed. But I think that's okay, I really do just want to try and meet people like me but I always felt as though anyone like me would be just as isolated and unwilling to communicate so I never took the chance to post like this.I just want to try and find that level of comfort each day that means I can continue to cope with all of this, doing this alone is completely crushing. 

p.s anyone reading to the end I appreciate a lot so pls take a flower Cherry blossom 

Parents
  • Sorry to hear you're struggling. I hope posting here helps you to feel less alone. Interesting that you say mentally isolated from anyone your age -- do you find it easier to speak to older/younger people? A number of my friends are significantly older than me. I also like playing with babies and young children. I just find I engage with people not in my age group differently and more easily.

• I find myself able to talk to older people much easier as that age gap and generation difference feels like a more natural separation compared to how different I feel when talking to someone my own age. Im not sure if that makes sense fully. Im hoping that meeting more people like me will help either way so that gap doesn't feel so large.

• It does make sense, I feel similarly.

Reply Children
No Data