Happy Autistic Pride Day!

Hello fellow autistic people! Today is the day (among every other day) to celebrate your autistic identity!

How will you celebrate? Are you proud to be autistic? If so, why?

I am definitely proud to be autistic for numerous reasons but I shall list my top 3:

1. I love the intensity with which I feel everything, it makes me a very passionate person.
  2. I love the way I make people laugh with my honesty and literal thinking.
  3.  I love the fact that being autistic means I belong to this Ausome Autistic community!
  • Personally, I would be happier with, 'Autistic Respect Day', or 'Autistic Dignity Day'. Though the word 'pride' is an antonym of 'shame' (and shame is the opposite of what we should feel), pride suggests to me that it should relate to an achievement, rather than merely a state of being. I didn't achieve autistic status, I had it thrust upon me.Smile 

• the pride mechanism is a tool to pick certain groups to be used by others in order to gain power. You were sold a lie by bad people. .

Nope.

Gay Pride comes from a time when it was illegal to be gay - you could be thrown in prison, as you still can in other countries.

Google 'Stonewall'.

It's saying 'I'm proud, I'm not ashamed, and why should I be'?

Before the Pride movement people didn't share their sexuality.

It started the long slow road for people to be able to talk about who they really are.

Despite the movement there is still plenty of prejudice and bigotry around, sadly.

• Your comparison between pride events for a community that have been treated as less than second class citizens and KKK/Nazi rallies is just awful. 

If you're a British adult, you grew up in a country where it was basically illegal to teach anything to do with LGBT people in schools. If you're older, you might have been born in a country where gay sex was still a criminal act. Either way, LGBT people have been and still are overwhelmingly more likely to be on the end of violence of abuse because of who they are. Pride events are important because otherwise we have the previous situation where everyone has to basically deny who they are publicly to make the straight majority happy. That might work for you, but not so much for the millions of people being oppressed so you don't have to face that LGBT people have just as much right to be who they are as you do. 

• Thanks for your reply.

Happy Autistic Pride Day. I had hoped to go to the Pride event in London, but haven't quite made it. I hope if you are there you are not getting too wet.

That’s a shame, maybe next year?

I am not really feeling acceptance yet, so am struggling with Pride. I went to the two Autism Advocacy stands at the Autism Show in London and have found them both really helpful.

That’s ok, not every autistic person is proud of being autistic and that is perfectly valid. It takes time to understand and accept your autistic journey, particularly if you are late identified which I assume you are? The autistic discovery journey is not linear, you are likely to feel a whole range of emotions regarding your autistic identity. This video about reactions to autistic discovery might help you understand how you are feeling:

The Six Common Reactions to Autistic Discovery - video and article format;

https://www.youtube.com/live/oo34mppLMqE?feature=share

https://aucademy.co.uk/2022/01/20/six-common-reactions-during-autistic-discovery/

Take your time and be kind to yourself, after all autistic identification is life changing.

It’s great that you found those stands at The Autism Show helpful, there’s a wealth of information and support available from being part of the autistic community.

I hope that one day I will happy with my identity and be able to celebrate it on this Day and everyday. 

I hope you do too, this community is here for you whenever you are ready to celebrate your autistic identity.

• Sorry AA, I wasn't offended by you.  I am offended by the manipulation of groups such as us by those with ill-intent. Sorry, 'pride' events are not created to celebrate people, they are specifically designed to segregate people.  

Perhaps think of it like this, if 'pride' in immutable characteristics is OK, why is gay pride ok but white pride evil?  the pride mechanism is a tool to pick certain groups to be used by others in order to gain power. You were sold a lie by bad people. ... just think about the type of people who were big into 'pride' of a certain ethnic group in 1930s germany and what that meant for those not in that group.

• I hate 'pride' whatevers .... they are (deliberately) a mechanism to split people apart by identities and maximize differences to create the maximum of division in society.  Those pushing it can then claim to be the saviors of those groups, when they are actually victimizing those groups.

Sorry you feel this way. I didn’t mean to cause any offence. Autistic Pride Day is just about celebrating who we are as autistic people. 

• divide and conquer.

• The Empire wants to compartmentalise us. Creating several niche groups.

• Dear Ausomely Autistic,

Happy Autistic Pride Day. I had hoped to go to the Pride event in London, but haven't quite made it. I hope if you are there you are not getting too wet.

I have only recently heard of Autistic Pride Day. And initially thought it was part of LGBT Pride month. So got a bit confused.

I am not really feeling acceptance yet, so am struggling with Pride. I went to the two Autism Advocacy stands at the Autism Show in London and have found them both really helpful.

I hope that one day I will happy with my identity and be able to celebrate it on this Day and everyday. 

Thank you for your post. I thought I was alone.

Mrs Snooks 

• well said - you put that much better than I did! :-)

• Sorry to say, but I agree. I don't need to be proud to be defined into a subcategory of society. I will feel proud when it is no longer mentioned as a 'difference' and is just part of the fabric of a diversely included populus

• I hate 'pride' whatevers .... they are (deliberately) a mechanism to split people apart by identities and maximize differences to create the maximum of division in society.  Those pushing it can then claim to be the saviors of those groups, when they are actually victimizing those groups.

Emphasis should always be on our shared humanity, not 'pride' in immutable characteristics.

Recognition, yes, acceptance, yes ... 'pride' no thanks.