Happy Autistic Pride Day!

Hello fellow autistic people! Today is the day (among every other day) to celebrate your autistic identity!

How will you celebrate? Are you proud to be autistic? If so, why?

I am definitely proud to be autistic for numerous reasons but I shall list my top 3:

1. I love the intensity with which I feel everything, it makes me a very passionate person.
  2. I love the way I make people laugh with my honesty and literal thinking.
  3.  I love the fact that being autistic means I belong to this Ausome Autistic community!
Parents
  • I haven't commented up until now because I didn't want to get involved in the disagreements but I think there's a disconnect here in the way people are understanding 'pride'. Some people are using the 'active celebration of my actions' definition, and saying that it doesn't apply here so we shouldn't have Autistic Pride (or gay pride, or whatever else). But the thing is... of course that's not the definition of 'pride' that's in use here. When people talk about '[identity] Pride' they mean pride as in 'opposition to the shame others have made us feel about things that harm nobody and can't be changed'.

I'd like to think that pointing this out might change a few minds, but tbh after seeing the way discussions like this tend to go on this forum, I'm not especially hopeful Expressionless

• When people talk about '[identity] Pride' they mean pride as in 'opposition to the shame others have made us feel about things that harm nobody and can't be changed'.

Thanks for pointing this out! Hopefully this clarification will help avoid further disagreements.

Reply Children