Happy Autistic Pride Day!

Hello fellow autistic people! Today is the day (among every other day) to celebrate your autistic identity!

How will you celebrate? Are you proud to be autistic? If so, why?

I am definitely proud to be autistic for numerous reasons but I shall list my top 3:

1. I love the intensity with which I feel everything, it makes me a very passionate person.
  2. I love the way I make people laugh with my honesty and literal thinking.
  3.  I love the fact that being autistic means I belong to this Ausome Autistic community!
Parents
  • I think pride should be reserved for things we have done, not innate qualities. I have an ability in visual art, my father also had the same, so I inherited it. I am not proud of this, it is just a part of me. However, when I produce a painting or drawing that looks close to what I intended and it works, then I am proud of it. 

Likewise I inherited autism - mostly from my father, again - I am not proud of that, it is just part of me. My autism has given me a very precise eye for detail and an ability to hyper-focus. I have used these autism-derived qualities to proof-read many PhD theses. As a result people I know, including friends and my wife, have benefitted by having an easier time in gaining a research degree, which has led on to productive careers. I am proud of what my autism has enabled me to do to help others.

• I dunno Martin, I think the autistic community has done very well so far in fighting to increase and protect our basic human rights as autistic people, even if we still have far to go before we obtain true equal treatment and the end of ableism and anti-autistic prejudice. For example, things like how we aren't just carted off to Bedlam and other assylums to be forgotten about by society like we used to be is it's own kind of acheivement imo.

• I feel, and this is purely personal, that pride in accidents is a fundamentally neurotypical thing. The way people are proud of the country they were, entirely accidentally, born in. Or how people identify with sports teams and say 'we', as in 'we won the cup!", well no you didn't, you just watched other people win a trophy. What they are talking about is not 'we', but something entirely separate from them, largely made up corporate entities reliant on hideously overpaid people who are good at kicking a ball around - a puerile pastime if there ever was one. I have nothing against most autistic advocates and what they have achieved for the community, I just balk at the concept of pride in anything that is not an achievement that the person being proud has not actively participated in.

• I feel, and this is purely personal, that pride in accidents is a fundamentally neurotypical thing. The way people are proud of the country they were, entirely accidentally, born in. Or how people identify with sports teams and say 'we', as in 'we won the cup!", well no you didn't, you just watched other people win a trophy. What they are talking about is not 'we', but something entirely separate from them, largely made up corporate entities reliant on hideously overpaid people who are good at kicking a ball around - a puerile pastime if there ever was one. I have nothing against most autistic advocates and what they have achieved for the community, I just balk at the concept of pride in anything that is not an achievement that the person being proud has not actively participated in.

Children