Happy Autistic Pride Day!

Hello fellow autistic people! Today is the day (among every other day) to celebrate your autistic identity!

How will you celebrate? Are you proud to be autistic? If so, why?

I am definitely proud to be autistic for numerous reasons but I shall list my top 3:

1. I love the intensity with which I feel everything, it makes me a very passionate person.
  2. I love the way I make people laugh with my honesty and literal thinking.
  3.  I love the fact that being autistic means I belong to this Ausome Autistic community!
Parents
  • Dear Ausomely Autistic,

Happy Autistic Pride Day. I had hoped to go to the Pride event in London, but haven't quite made it. I hope if you are there you are not getting too wet.

I have only recently heard of Autistic Pride Day. And initially thought it was part of LGBT Pride month. So got a bit confused.

I am not really feeling acceptance yet, so am struggling with Pride. I went to the two Autism Advocacy stands at the Autism Show in London and have found them both really helpful.

I hope that one day I will happy with my identity and be able to celebrate it on this Day and everyday. 

Thank you for your post. I thought I was alone.

Mrs Snooks 

• Thanks for your reply.

Happy Autistic Pride Day. I had hoped to go to the Pride event in London, but haven't quite made it. I hope if you are there you are not getting too wet.

That’s a shame, maybe next year?

I am not really feeling acceptance yet, so am struggling with Pride. I went to the two Autism Advocacy stands at the Autism Show in London and have found them both really helpful.

That’s ok, not every autistic person is proud of being autistic and that is perfectly valid. It takes time to understand and accept your autistic journey, particularly if you are late identified which I assume you are? The autistic discovery journey is not linear, you are likely to feel a whole range of emotions regarding your autistic identity. This video about reactions to autistic discovery might help you understand how you are feeling:

The Six Common Reactions to Autistic Discovery - video and article format;

https://www.youtube.com/live/oo34mppLMqE?feature=share

https://aucademy.co.uk/2022/01/20/six-common-reactions-during-autistic-discovery/

Take your time and be kind to yourself, after all autistic identification is life changing.

It’s great that you found those stands at The Autism Show helpful, there’s a wealth of information and support available from being part of the autistic community.

I hope that one day I will happy with my identity and be able to celebrate it on this Day and everyday. 

I hope you do too, this community is here for you whenever you are ready to celebrate your autistic identity.

• Thanks for your reply.

That’s a shame, maybe next year?

That’s ok, not every autistic person is proud of being autistic and that is perfectly valid. It takes time to understand and accept your autistic journey, particularly if you are late identified which I assume you are? The autistic discovery journey is not linear, you are likely to feel a whole range of emotions regarding your autistic identity. This video about reactions to autistic discovery might help you understand how you are feeling:

The Six Common Reactions to Autistic Discovery - video and article format;

https://www.youtube.com/live/oo34mppLMqE?feature=share

https://aucademy.co.uk/2022/01/20/six-common-reactions-during-autistic-discovery/

Take your time and be kind to yourself, after all autistic identification is life changing.

It’s great that you found those stands at The Autism Show helpful, there’s a wealth of information and support available from being part of the autistic community.

I hope you do too, this community is here for you whenever you are ready to celebrate your autistic identity.

Children
No Data