Pre-assessment?

Last year I was placed on the waiting list for an assessment. I was told this waiting list could be up to two years. 

Last month I had a phone call where they invited me to a pre-assessment. This is next week. 

Can anyone please shed some light on what may take place during this pre-assessment? 

I am starting to worry because I am not prepared. I find it extremely difficult to answer questions unless I have prepared my answers in advance so I’d like to try and have something prepared if possible. Otherwise I can panic and just don’t know what to say. 

I am also feeling anxious because of the unknown. 

I did ask the lady on the phone. I remember her saying that I didn’t need to do any questionnaires because the letter I gave my GP was so detailed (I listed my struggles). But she said a lot during the call so I couldn’t take it all in.

I am 31 year old female if that makes any difference. 

Thank you!

Parents
  • I had what in my area is known as a triage appointment which sounds a bit like this pre assessment. For me it was a video call with a speech and language therapist with another clinician watching but not taking part. It was mostly going over my history childhood to more present, and they decided I needed a full autism assessment at the end of it. In my area they can at that stage decide to send you to a more suitable service if they, for example, think it might be ADHD instead, but generally they don't and they can't just discharge you they do have to forward a referral. 

After referral to full assessment I was then eligible for some interim help like a social prescriber while I awaited full assessment.

My area uses this triage appointment I think to streamline the assessment process a bit as a 1.5 hour call is a lot shorter than a 6 hour session + contacting your family so it allows them to filter people who have been referred to the wrong service and get those on waiting lists some help a little quicker than if everyone had to wait for the full assessment before being able to access anything

• I had what in my area is known as a triage appointment which sounds a bit like this pre assessment. For me it was a video call with a speech and language therapist with another clinician watching but not taking part. It was mostly going over my history childhood to more present, and they decided I needed a full autism assessment at the end of it. In my area they can at that stage decide to send you to a more suitable service if they, for example, think it might be ADHD instead, but generally they don't and they can't just discharge you they do have to forward a referral. 

After referral to full assessment I was then eligible for some interim help like a social prescriber while I awaited full assessment.

My area uses this triage appointment I think to streamline the assessment process a bit as a 1.5 hour call is a lot shorter than a 6 hour session + contacting your family so it allows them to filter people who have been referred to the wrong service and get those on waiting lists some help a little quicker than if everyone had to wait for the full assessment before being able to access anything

Children
No Data