Universal Basic income

Don't know how many of you have heard about the small trial of this? Its only a few people but they are given a no questions asked payment of £1600pm for two years on the trial. 

I am sure I am not the old one whi thinks this would massivley change their life? I work 38 hours a week and only take home about £1850pm, and every one of those hours is a total slog and a battle againt ASD. I would take 6 months-1 year off and then probably do some voulenteer work doing something I love. Sadly I can't see it coming in any time soon but his would be a game changer for anybody with mental heath issues and physical disabilities. Of course that works as long as there is not massive inflation to go with it and prices remain stable.

What are your thoughts?

Rob

Parents
  • I agree with Dawn, I think if you take the financial pressure off of most people, they can start to think about what they really want to do and work towards it, achieving their personal and earning potential.  Treating people poorly and taking every penny away from them/making them live on next to nothing doesn't usually result in them suddenly becoming an entrepreneur - they spend most days hungry and wondering how to get their next meal, or feed their kids/keep roof over their heads.

• I agree with Dawn, I think if you take the financial pressure off of most people, they can start to think about what they really want to do and work towards it, achieving their personal and earning potential.  Treating people poorly and taking every penny away from them/making them live on next to nothing doesn't usually result in them suddenly becoming an entrepreneur - they spend most days hungry and wondering how to get their next meal, or feed their kids/keep roof over their heads.

Children
  • Yes, it has been argued that the poor aren't poor because tbey are feckless, it is poverty itself that creates short-termism and so-called fecklessness. 

I susoect basic income may be used  as a pacifier if AI and robots do take over a lot of drudge jobs, but somehow I susoe t it will be administered in ways that won't nake it much fun, rather than liberating mire oeoe from either drudge jobs or unemployment. 

All the same I'd be delighted if basic income did catch on.