Putting in a complaint about the NHS diagnostic team.

Has anyone put in a complaint to PALS about their failed assessment? Mine was a joke and I believe that I was failed badly. I’m also aware that if my case is anything to go by, then other autistic people have also been failed and sent on their merry way. 

anyone put a complaint in and had their NHS assessment redacted from their medical records?

Parents
  • I have had cause to complain about to NHS, but about a misdiagnosis, not my assessment which was great and done by the NAS.

With regards to the "redaction", it depends what you mean as to what can be done.

If you mean can it be deleted from your record, it can't. Even misdiagnoses or missed diagnoses cannot be deleted, because it is nevertheless less a history of who did what when. The record can, however, be corrected by subsequent notes to say that a previous assessment turned out to be wrong. So, should you be reassessed and it concluded you are autistic or otherwise neurodivergent, this would trump the result of the previous one.

If you mean, you requested your notes and they redacted the assessment material from the release to you, you can challenge that via the complaints process, via the information  commissioner ultimately. Your notes should only be kept from you if they are third party (I.e. contain other people's confidential information) or would do you "serious harm". By that, it should not mean you would be upset or even very upset, but rather of the order you might throw yourself off a cliff.

I have had experience of both the above. A sloppily made misdiagnosis, following my complaint, was corrected by subsequent note to say the the previous diagnosis was wrong. I have also challenged reactions in release of notes to me. Their use of "serious harm", was indeed unwarranted and spurious. It is evident now that they withholding to cover their embarrassment not mine. 

With regard to your assessment, NHS do seem to be hit and miss. There are some good teams out there and some whoes training is way out of date. Sadly, there's no automatic right to an NHS second opinion, but if you can argue why they did not go into enough depth or did not take account of some information, you might have more success.

• I have had cause to complain about to NHS, but about a misdiagnosis, not my assessment which was great and done by the NAS.

With regards to the "redaction", it depends what you mean as to what can be done.

If you mean can it be deleted from your record, it can't. Even misdiagnoses or missed diagnoses cannot be deleted, because it is nevertheless less a history of who did what when. The record can, however, be corrected by subsequent notes to say that a previous assessment turned out to be wrong. So, should you be reassessed and it concluded you are autistic or otherwise neurodivergent, this would trump the result of the previous one.

If you mean, you requested your notes and they redacted the assessment material from the release to you, you can challenge that via the complaints process, via the information  commissioner ultimately. Your notes should only be kept from you if they are third party (I.e. contain other people's confidential information) or would do you "serious harm". By that, it should not mean you would be upset or even very upset, but rather of the order you might throw yourself off a cliff.

I have had experience of both the above. A sloppily made misdiagnosis, following my complaint, was corrected by subsequent note to say the the previous diagnosis was wrong. I have also challenged reactions in release of notes to me. Their use of "serious harm", was indeed unwarranted and spurious. It is evident now that they withholding to cover their embarrassment not mine. 

With regard to your assessment, NHS do seem to be hit and miss. There are some good teams out there and some whoes training is way out of date. Sadly, there's no automatic right to an NHS second opinion, but if you can argue why they did not go into enough depth or did not take account of some information, you might have more success.

Children
No Data