How was school for you?

I have noticed questions by carers about their children during lunch breaks. This got me thinking of my own experience.

I left school over 40 years ago and it is only in the last few years I realized I was autistic.

When I was at school a lot of lessons were quite formal which suited me. However when it came to lunchtime as all the schools I went to were nearby I went home for lunch. In the Junior school quite a few people went home for lunchtime which was nearly an hour and a half. Most occasions when I stayed it was for a club but I didn't like being at school for the whole day and especially the long lunch break.

I wonder if modern schools are more of a challenge for autistics.

Parents
  • Yeah it was pretty rough. Did people really used to go home for lunch at school? Like I went home at lunch a lot in secondary school, but that was because I hated it (bullied, few friends, had bad anxiety without knowing what it was and wanted to die a lot) and I realised that no one really noticed that I didn't show up to afternoon lessons. Tbh even after I started skipping school entirely it took several weeks for anyone to realise. I went straight from year 11 to a psych unit and the psych unit was 1000x better.

• That's sad no one noticed you. Glad you got help later.

Reply Children
No Data