original diagnosis and current experience

Hello 

I was wondering if anyone had felt this or had an experience where in their original assessment they were masking a lot and didn’t understand a lot of the questions and while did get diagnosed as autistic, the letter and a lot of the conclusions seem to fundamentally be at odds with my lived experience and like life?? 

for instance the phrasing of a lot of the questions i didn’t understand, like there was one about walking on your tiptoes but i don’t do that but i do walk on the sides of me feet but i didn’t realise it was relevant because tiptoes and sides of feet aren’t the same but people have said it’s not being tiptoeing but weird ways of walking?? 

there are examples which essentially led me to be labelled as ‘high functioning’ tho ik most people don’t even use that term because it’s so stupid since it doesn’t actually fit with the autistic experience since functioning can change daily and based on different stimuli/situations etc. but there are other conclusions about my ability to care for myself etc that still don’t fit and i find any perceived misunderstandings and like conflicting experiences really stressful and upsetting so i was wondering if anyone had had a similar experience and got re-assessed to fix it. because it’s something that consistently upsets me especially since i feel wary of medical professionals anyway since anyone who looks at videos of me growing up or heard any of my behaviours and things i went to the doctors for would see how obvious it was but i feel like because i was a girl they didn’t consider it and now for similar reasons the extent to which being autistic effects me is being misunderstood and it’s really really upsetting. 

is the way to fix this like having another diagnosis assessment? or like getting it re-done. mine was originally done privately it was a really odd situation where my dad was half-forced into a diagnosis by his work but then we realised i’m autistic too and i got diagnosed right after but it was all over skype and obviously so the stimming etc wasn’t noted and so i think paired with the masking the diagnosis is really like skewed from reality. 

maybe it’s not even worth getting another, i won’t be able to do it privately anyway cos i can’t afford that, but honestly it’s really upsetting me and impacting my mental health. and coudl also be impacting why stuff with my EHCP and PIP are constantly rejected or dragged out. though i think that does happen to everyone. 

anyway, its great having a better understanding of myself now and having the words to explain stuff. but also now it hurts even more when i feel like there are misunderstandings. so yeah, any advice would be appreciated :) 

Parents Reply Children