Melanie Sykes’ autobiography

I wondered if anyone had read Melanie Sykes’ autobiography and whether you related, especially if you’re a woman with both ASD/ADHD? I had mixed feelings about it but I think she’s the first public autistic woman that seemed similar to me (as in, can ‘perform’ well socially, but crumbles behind the scenes). However, I also find celebrity culture at odds with an autistic world (hence her difficulties), but I think I would have run from the public eye as soon as possible. It must be incredibly hard if your special interest involves a lot of people. I related to her nativity and drive and her quest for the truth in things. 

I also wondered if anyone had read any other autobiographies that gave you a different perspective of autistic experiences?

Parents
  • I have pre ordered Melanie’s book as an audiobook, it’s available on the 22nd June. I follow Mel on Instagram, she doesn’t really work on TV anymore, from what she has said is that some of the well known celebrities who come across as being lovely people are actually very toxic. It became too much for her.  Another book I really enjoyed was Odd Girl Out by Laura James. I’m in the middle of an audiobook at the moment called Different, Not Less.

• Yeh I can imagine so many people are toxic in tv - I’m glad Mel is able to be open and honest. Thanks for the recommendations- I have lots on my library list! Slight smile

Reply Children
No Data