Melanie Sykes’ autobiography

I wondered if anyone had read Melanie Sykes’ autobiography and whether you related, especially if you’re a woman with both ASD/ADHD? I had mixed feelings about it but I think she’s the first public autistic woman that seemed similar to me (as in, can ‘perform’ well socially, but crumbles behind the scenes). However, I also find celebrity culture at odds with an autistic world (hence her difficulties), but I think I would have run from the public eye as soon as possible. It must be incredibly hard if your special interest involves a lot of people. I related to her nativity and drive and her quest for the truth in things. 

I also wondered if anyone had read any other autobiographies that gave you a different perspective of autistic experiences?

Parents
  • Next up on my list. I've become a bit obsessed reading bios of other autistic women. Loved Fern Brady's offering. Christine McGuiness' is more simply written but gives very useful insights into autistic women and abuse and parenting autistic kids as an autistic woman.

I love it when the well know are prepared to be so open. They are using their profile to gain acceptance and undestanding for us all and present a role model for others.

• Next up on my list. I've become a bit obsessed reading bios of other autistic women. Loved Fern Brady's offering. Christine McGuiness' is more simply written but gives very useful insights into autistic women and abuse and parenting autistic kids as an autistic woman.

I love it when the well know are prepared to be so open. They are using their profile to gain acceptance and undestanding for us all and present a role model for others.

Children
  • I agree - it helps so much to have other women’s perspectives and it’s so important to break the stereotypes. I still feel like such an imposter but hearing how autism presents so differently for each person (and women in particular) really helps to validate my experiences.