Melanie Sykes’ autobiography

I wondered if anyone had read Melanie Sykes’ autobiography and whether you related, especially if you’re a woman with both ASD/ADHD? I had mixed feelings about it but I think she’s the first public autistic woman that seemed similar to me (as in, can ‘perform’ well socially, but crumbles behind the scenes). However, I also find celebrity culture at odds with an autistic world (hence her difficulties), but I think I would have run from the public eye as soon as possible. It must be incredibly hard if your special interest involves a lot of people. I related to her nativity and drive and her quest for the truth in things. 

I also wondered if anyone had read any other autobiographies that gave you a different perspective of autistic experiences?

Parents
  • I haven't read Melanie's so can't comment on that. I don't like celebrity stuff but I always liked Mel on TV back in the 90s so maybe I'll give it a go if it's worth it?  

When I read Katherine May's The Electricity of Every Living Thing I identified strongly with how her autism is for her. She has similar interests to me too so I enjoy reading her observations. Laura James's Odd Girl Out I found relatable in some ways and not in others. I think she is probably more rigid than me in her need for routine. Ferne Brady's Strong Female Character I couldn't put down it was so engrossing for me. She grew up in quite bad circumstances and ended up being a stripper. I like how she's unapologetically herself and has no shame about what she did to survive. Rebecca Shiller's Earthed is about her year of being diagnosed ADHD. She's very good at explaining how it feels to be on the precipice of breakdown and helped me understand ADHD better. Most of all I like how these books are changing the preconceptions about autism and are so well written that they are being read by a wide audience. 

• Thank you so much for all those recommendations- they all sound brilliant. It would be interesting to read Katherine May’s as parenthood has been a huge challenge for me, 

I enjoyed Melanie’s book but I found it hard to get into at first. I think she writes as if she’s speaking so some of it didn’t flow. Having said that, once I got into it I couldn’t put it down. I found her story very interesting. She doesn’t really mention her autism much till towards the end but you can see how that has caused a lot of her difficulties.

• I know what you mean - I tried reading Jonathan Van Ness's book and it's written the way he talks and I struggled with it. I feel like it would be better as an audiobook of him reading it. I'll give Melanie's book a go if it's in the library or charity shop, or if she brings out an audiobook. 

Katherine's book is great even if wasn't partly about her getting diagnosed. When I read it I had a lightbulb moment where she describes a meltdown she has trying to put her son in his pushchair on a visit to London. After years of getting fobbed off it gave me the courage to go for diagnosis, so it will always have a special place in my heart. Let me know if you read it and what you think. I love discussing books (ex-librarian here). 

• I know what you mean - I tried reading Jonathan Van Ness's book and it's written the way he talks and I struggled with it. I feel like it would be better as an audiobook of him reading it. I'll give Melanie's book a go if it's in the library or charity shop, or if she brings out an audiobook. 

Katherine's book is great even if wasn't partly about her getting diagnosed. When I read it I had a lightbulb moment where she describes a meltdown she has trying to put her son in his pushchair on a visit to London. After years of getting fobbed off it gave me the courage to go for diagnosis, so it will always have a special place in my heart. Let me know if you read it and what you think. I love discussing books (ex-librarian here). 

Children
  • I think Melanie Sykes is bringing out an audiobook soon so that may be better than the book. 
    I’ve just reserved Katherine’s book on my library app so I’ll let you know how I get on once I’ve read it. I have had far too many meltdowns over pushchairs and car seats!!