Helping my mother

Hi everyone,

my mother has just been diagnosed with autism at the age of 62. She is really not coping with her diagnosis. She’s very emotional about it and says she doesn’t know how to deal with it and can’t put into words how I can help her. 

Does anyone have and advice on how to help her move on with her life. I feel useless at the moment. 

Parents
  • I think time is the key here. She needs time, and support to adjust. That time and support may incluse just leaving her be? None of us know your mum but she might be overwhelmed at the moment, that might bring with it a autistic melt down. If you try and preassure her into stuff that could make things worse. Does she use Youtube? There are some really good autistic channels on there from autistic people and she may identify with this. Assure her she is still the same person, it doesn't change who she is but does help to explain what she is and why she may struggle with some things. 

Rob

• I think time is the key here. She needs time, and support to adjust. That time and support may incluse just leaving her be? None of us know your mum but she might be overwhelmed at the moment, that might bring with it a autistic melt down. If you try and preassure her into stuff that could make things worse. Does she use Youtube? There are some really good autistic channels on there from autistic people and she may identify with this. Assure her she is still the same person, it doesn't change who she is but does help to explain what she is and why she may struggle with some things. 

Rob

Children
No Data