autistic venn diagrams

hi everyone,

i was just wondering if anyone was aware of the venn diagram between autism and the following things:

1) autism and veganism

2) autism and animal rights activism

2) autism and non-cisgendered gender identity

3) autism and queerness

i'm interested in the correlations/stats around this and any information about it that is out there.

thanks!

peter.

Parents
  • hi everyone,

thanks for the replies, all the information i've seen has been really useful, thanks. to clarify i've been thinking about this from a very personal point of view. i've just been thinking about what i perceive to be links between people i know who are autistic and vegan and identify as queer. i have recently had an ASD diagnosis, having felt that i was autistic for properly the last 20+ years so i'm trying to understand myself and my friends better. on a personal level being a vegan makes perfect sense to me - humans have often been confusing and unpredictable to me, whereas i've had a lifelong affinity with other animals and spent most of my teenage years with e.g. cats instead of school friends. in terms of querness, i've identified as queer for a while now and have various friends who would identify as lgbtqa+ who are now also getting adult diagnosis's of ASD or ADHD. it's all just very interesting to me at the moment. i feel i might have clumsily worded my question, looking for venn diagrams, but it felt like there might be summat out there about this and i really appreciate all the links that you have sent me.

also, completely agree about clause 28. i'm of that generation that were completely fucked over by it. the thought of being in school and being proud to tell friends and teachers i was queer is completely alien to me because it just wasn't a thing you'd do because of that tory policy. i have a young daughter and i see how completely transformational schools are now: how individual's identities are celebrated and there are lgbtqa+ books, after school clubs, really positive mental health related policies and such a kind, supporting attitude from the teachers that it's wonderful to go to her school and see all this.

also, my daughter implicitly understands so much about this because of the environment she is raised in and the resources she has. we're going to a pride event next week and she is so excited about it.

anyway, thanks again everyone, this has been really helpful to me Slight smile

• hi everyone,

thanks for the replies, all the information i've seen has been really useful, thanks. to clarify i've been thinking about this from a very personal point of view. i've just been thinking about what i perceive to be links between people i know who are autistic and vegan and identify as queer. i have recently had an ASD diagnosis, having felt that i was autistic for properly the last 20+ years so i'm trying to understand myself and my friends better. on a personal level being a vegan makes perfect sense to me - humans have often been confusing and unpredictable to me, whereas i've had a lifelong affinity with other animals and spent most of my teenage years with e.g. cats instead of school friends. in terms of querness, i've identified as queer for a while now and have various friends who would identify as lgbtqa+ who are now also getting adult diagnosis's of ASD or ADHD. it's all just very interesting to me at the moment. i feel i might have clumsily worded my question, looking for venn diagrams, but it felt like there might be summat out there about this and i really appreciate all the links that you have sent me.

also, completely agree about clause 28. i'm of that generation that were completely fucked over by it. the thought of being in school and being proud to tell friends and teachers i was queer is completely alien to me because it just wasn't a thing you'd do because of that tory policy. i have a young daughter and i see how completely transformational schools are now: how individual's identities are celebrated and there are lgbtqa+ books, after school clubs, really positive mental health related policies and such a kind, supporting attitude from the teachers that it's wonderful to go to her school and see all this.

also, my daughter implicitly understands so much about this because of the environment she is raised in and the resources she has. we're going to a pride event next week and she is so excited about it.

anyway, thanks again everyone, this has been really helpful to me Slight smile

Children
No Data