Should there be such a thing as an autistic union?

I’ll make a poll for this later when I’m on my laptop. However the question I put to you is this. Should there exist local organisations in the major cities patterned like student unions but with the specific aim of serving autistic adults.

such organisations would:

• operate a permanent venue which it would make available to members to run events for free or at a highly subsidised rate.
  • provide advice and advocacy services to autistic people Who feel they are being discriminated against or otherwise marginalised.
  • provide PR and networking for individuals wishing to start-up groups and events under the umbrella of the union.
  • provide careers guidance aimed at Autistic people of all levels of ability high and low who experience difficulties with the communication issues involved in jobhunting and application.

notes:

• when I say venue I don’t necessarily mean some massive sprawling complex of buildings. Even something as small as a porter cabin would be better than nothing.
  • I am suggesting that this would constitute a bona fide autism charity under UK charity law.
  • I am not suggesting that every city would immediately be able to get such a facility, i’m saying in principle would you like there to be such a thing and should somebody start one somewhere in the hopes that it would spread to other locations?
  • I am not suggesting that an organisation of this kind could be funded purely by the membership fees of its autistic members. any more than a student union could be funded purely by the fees of its students. student unions get grants from the universities. an organisation like this would have to be in receipt of charitable grants from other bodies.

Parents Reply Children
No Data