Moving on from the Diagnosis of being an autistic adult.

As an older man, who was diagnosed as on the ASD scale last year via the Retreat, York, i was expecting my life to become easier and people more understanding of my condition. However, although I am happy that I understand why I have been backwards socially and find relationships very difficult, I have not ben able to move forward at all.

Covid was a very bad time for me as my father died without the proper care needed due to the severe restrictions in 2020. After my father died, my uncle died in 2022.  I was at my lowest point and the doctor tried to prescribe social help in the way of MIND and WELLBEING. 

I have been unable to go outside the house now, and frequently experience panic attacks if I have to break any routine.  I am hoping there is someone through this organisation who I can talk to

Bet Wishes

Parents
  • I've had a very similar experience as regards the diagnosis.

Three years later I am still coming to terms with it.Some things are a bit better, but some things I now know I cannot get done without help, which seems unavailable for my age and demographic.

Covid dealt us all a serious blow both societally, and as individuals. I've had my own difficulties in wanting to go out myself since Covid, which is a different thing to panic attacks I'll grant you, but still an unpleasant change.

The good news is that panic attacks are manageable for some people, and apparently with training most people can overcome them quickly and without drama too.

If you can;t do it unaided, then ask someone who knows, or a professional for help, it's important to take back your freedom to leave the house 

• I've had a very similar experience as regards the diagnosis.

Three years later I am still coming to terms with it.Some things are a bit better, but some things I now know I cannot get done without help, which seems unavailable for my age and demographic.

Covid dealt us all a serious blow both societally, and as individuals. I've had my own difficulties in wanting to go out myself since Covid, which is a different thing to panic attacks I'll grant you, but still an unpleasant change.

The good news is that panic attacks are manageable for some people, and apparently with training most people can overcome them quickly and without drama too.

If you can;t do it unaided, then ask someone who knows, or a professional for help, it's important to take back your freedom to leave the house 

Children
No Data