Moving on from the Diagnosis of being an autistic adult.

As an older man, who was diagnosed as on the ASD scale last year via the Retreat, York, i was expecting my life to become easier and people more understanding of my condition. However, although I am happy that I understand why I have been backwards socially and find relationships very difficult, I have not ben able to move forward at all.

Covid was a very bad time for me as my father died without the proper care needed due to the severe restrictions in 2020. After my father died, my uncle died in 2022.  I was at my lowest point and the doctor tried to prescribe social help in the way of MIND and WELLBEING. 

I have been unable to go outside the house now, and frequently experience panic attacks if I have to break any routine.  I am hoping there is someone through this organisation who I can talk to

Bet Wishes

Parents
  • I'm sorry you've had to go through so much.

I apologise if my advice seems obvious or patronising but all I can say is that when I've had those kinds of anxious breakdowns the most important thing was once I've reached a point where I'm relatively stable when I stick to a routine, to just take very small steps and repeat them a heck of a lot of times. Like I'd put my most calming music on my headphones and just go into the garden for 2 minutes or even less, and then it took a long time but I eventually got up to a short walk. My most recent disaster was about 2 years ago and I've finally got to a point where I can go for a proper walk. But still centring my days on the routine so I can push on in whatever free blocks I have.

I hope things start to get easier for you soon.

• I'm sorry you've had to go through so much.

I apologise if my advice seems obvious or patronising but all I can say is that when I've had those kinds of anxious breakdowns the most important thing was once I've reached a point where I'm relatively stable when I stick to a routine, to just take very small steps and repeat them a heck of a lot of times. Like I'd put my most calming music on my headphones and just go into the garden for 2 minutes or even less, and then it took a long time but I eventually got up to a short walk. My most recent disaster was about 2 years ago and I've finally got to a point where I can go for a proper walk. But still centring my days on the routine so I can push on in whatever free blocks I have.

I hope things start to get easier for you soon.

Children
  • Thank you for your support. I wear foam ear plugs every day as I am so sensitive to sounds. Im lucky to be able to walk around my garden and keep busy.  I have a hobby, Marquetry, which I found out I could do quite well....It also helps me to concentrate for a few hours a week.