Bring Back Aspie

So I really feel that the term Asperger's, although dropped for valid reasons, served a very real function within the community.

I of course understand why the grouping exists. But from a social stigma pov, I find it limiting to consider myself, who is fortunate to be a very adept and able high-functioning person, in the same category of autism as those who sadly are much less well functioning.

I'm sure it won't be popular to say it, but I feel I would certainly benefit from being considered an Aspie instead.

I'm interested to here why other people think about this?

Parents
  • The issue to my mind is services for aspies / high functioning autistic people look quite different to services for low functioning autistic people. It is useful to have a separate term because the services for each needs to be set up and run differently with an emphasis on different needs.

As it is the one size fits all terminology hides the fact that people with 'Aspergers' type autism are not being well served and having their needs met. It also makes the services that are set up for them harder to find.

• The trouble is there are no services for higher IQ autistic people even though we may have some of the same support needs as those with a learning disability in some contexts.

My needs in medical environments are not dissimilar. The Learning Disability and Autism Team will not take a referral from my special care dentist because aren't truely a Learning Disability AND autism team, they are commissioned only as a Learning Disability Team, some of whose clients might also be autistic. They take referrals only for autistic people who ALSO have intellectual impairment. But they are the only team who have the skill set to help.

• The trouble is there are no services for higher IQ autistic people even though we may have some of the same support needs as those with a learning disability in some contexts.

My needs in medical environments are not dissimilar. The Learning Disability and Autism Team will not take a referral from my special care dentist because aren't truely a Learning Disability AND autism team, they are commissioned only as a Learning Disability Team, some of whose clients might also be autistic. They take referrals only for autistic people who ALSO have intellectual impairment. But they are the only team who have the skill set to help.

Children
No Data