Bring Back Aspie

So I really feel that the term Asperger's, although dropped for valid reasons, served a very real function within the community.

I of course understand why the grouping exists. But from a social stigma pov, I find it limiting to consider myself, who is fortunate to be a very adept and able high-functioning person, in the same category of autism as those who sadly are much less well functioning.

I'm sure it won't be popular to say it, but I feel I would certainly benefit from being considered an Aspie instead.

I'm interested to here why other people think about this?

Parents
  • I think that the term "late diagnosed" is useful for describing the different life experiences of this group, but I also am firmly against creating a hierarchy based on the perceived competency of autistic people.  

I am a firm believer in neurodiversity, and that we should all support each other as part of the autistic community.  Those who can articulate more clearly have the opportunity to be a voice for those who struggle to be heard.  We will not achieve any significant change in society until we realise that we all need each other.  

There are several autistic people who don't speak with their mouths, but are able to communicate in other ways such as typing, and when they get their thoughts out it can be so profound that it makes me question how many people are lumped in the "low functioning" just because they don't speak when in fact their minds understand much more than others perceive.

From a social stigma point of view, I think it is more important to raise the voices of the autistic community as a whole, no matter what form they take, so that we can challenge that stigma and make being autistic as minimal a problem as being left-handed.

• I think that the term "late diagnosed" is useful for describing the different life experiences of this group, but I also am firmly against creating a hierarchy based on the perceived competency of autistic people.  

I am a firm believer in neurodiversity, and that we should all support each other as part of the autistic community.  Those who can articulate more clearly have the opportunity to be a voice for those who struggle to be heard.  We will not achieve any significant change in society until we realise that we all need each other.  

There are several autistic people who don't speak with their mouths, but are able to communicate in other ways such as typing, and when they get their thoughts out it can be so profound that it makes me question how many people are lumped in the "low functioning" just because they don't speak when in fact their minds understand much more than others perceive.

From a social stigma point of view, I think it is more important to raise the voices of the autistic community as a whole, no matter what form they take, so that we can challenge that stigma and make being autistic as minimal a problem as being left-handed.

Children