Fatigue and feelings of unwellness

Hi

Do you constantly feel fatigued, tired and just a feeling of being unwell, which is hard to explain? X

Parents
  • I'm glad there are no overtly physical issues causing the tiredness, so the logical next thing to consider is if any medication you use could be causing this - best to talk this over with your GP and see if changing these can help.

On the mental side, are there any things that help make you feel more energised or recharged?

The symptoms you describe are very common and are likely a combination of the medication and the stress that us on the spectrum feel due to our sensory receptiveness.

If you can find a hobby or activity that helps you feel revitalised then try to build time for this into your life and after doing this, try to deal with the issues that are most important or likely to make you stressed.

I like to think of it as powering up to take on the challenge, and in completing each task it gives a big tick in the "to do list" which gives another little power up to take on the next one. The satisfaction of the completion makes it more rewarding (probably a dopamine powered effect, but it works for me).

For things I really don't want to do I find it best to set a time to do them (with an alarm if necessary) and go into doing them on autopilot without thinking about them. Great for stuff like cleaning (maybe put some music on) or even <shudder> doing tax returns.

Breaking the inertia helps so much and at the end the relief of getting the task out of the way is soooo nice.

The problems here are something almost all of us have to live with and the best solution is to find a strategy that works for you.

• I'm glad there are no overtly physical issues causing the tiredness, so the logical next thing to consider is if any medication you use could be causing this - best to talk this over with your GP and see if changing these can help.

On the mental side, are there any things that help make you feel more energised or recharged?

The symptoms you describe are very common and are likely a combination of the medication and the stress that us on the spectrum feel due to our sensory receptiveness.

If you can find a hobby or activity that helps you feel revitalised then try to build time for this into your life and after doing this, try to deal with the issues that are most important or likely to make you stressed.

I like to think of it as powering up to take on the challenge, and in completing each task it gives a big tick in the "to do list" which gives another little power up to take on the next one. The satisfaction of the completion makes it more rewarding (probably a dopamine powered effect, but it works for me).

For things I really don't want to do I find it best to set a time to do them (with an alarm if necessary) and go into doing them on autopilot without thinking about them. Great for stuff like cleaning (maybe put some music on) or even <shudder> doing tax returns.

Breaking the inertia helps so much and at the end the relief of getting the task out of the way is soooo nice.

The problems here are something almost all of us have to live with and the best solution is to find a strategy that works for you.

Children
No Data