Autistic Inertia (problems with switching task) tips?

Hello again!

I have recently learned about autistic inertia thanks to Pete Wharmby's book Un-typicaI and have realised this is something I really struggle with but hadn't really given it any thought, until now.

Very briefly Autistic inertia, for anyone who doesn't know, is a difficulty switching tasks (even if you want to). Here's some light further reading - https://autismawarenesscentre.com/what-is-autistic-inertia/

The example Pete gave in his book so perfectly encapsulated my experience, reading a book but wanting a cup of tea. In this example, I can see myself getting up, making the tea, and then sitting and enjoying the tea while I continue to read. I am happy to get up and make the tea but I just...don't. I want to but something blocks me from switching my focus from reading to getting up and making tea.

Of course, this is just one example that doesn't have any major ramifications but it does impact other areas of my life. I wondered whether anyone had any tips or tricks for getting through this? If you also experience this, how do you switch tasks effectively?

Parents
  • If I could have a pound for every time I've sat on the sofa, needing to go to bed, but not doing so (and not doing much else either such as watching TV or reading) I wouldn't need to do a days work ever again.  I never consider the knock on effect either. Sometimes the empty inertia comes because I just don't know where or how to start a task, even my interests. Also inertia from life decisions. 

What helps? For tasking, if someone is doing something with me (doesn't have to be exactly the same but I'll clean the kitchen while he does another room for instance). Sometimes I count myself down from 5. Another aspect was to plan my day in chunks of time, incorporating enough time to switch (eg allocate an hour for a task which takes 45 mins with a 15 min buffer) hey ho I haven't stuck to this though. I try and tell myself there will be no results if I don't start. 

In terms of the "not being able to stop" inertia...that's a hard one as well. It means stuff gets done but can lead to exhaustion. If I notice it, I try to catch it in the moment and have a break. I also get majorly stuck on thoughts. More awareness of this has lead to acceptance but it doesn't really help.

This is something I do struggle with at both extremes. This is an excellent article - there might be tips in here but I can't remember: 

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpsyg.2021.631596/full

I could talk a lot longer about this. I think it pervades every aspect of my life.

• If I could have a pound for every time I've sat on the sofa, needing to go to bed, but not doing so (and not doing much else either such as watching TV or reading) I wouldn't need to do a days work ever again.  I never consider the knock on effect either. Sometimes the empty inertia comes because I just don't know where or how to start a task, even my interests. Also inertia from life decisions. 

What helps? For tasking, if someone is doing something with me (doesn't have to be exactly the same but I'll clean the kitchen while he does another room for instance). Sometimes I count myself down from 5. Another aspect was to plan my day in chunks of time, incorporating enough time to switch (eg allocate an hour for a task which takes 45 mins with a 15 min buffer) hey ho I haven't stuck to this though. I try and tell myself there will be no results if I don't start. 

In terms of the "not being able to stop" inertia...that's a hard one as well. It means stuff gets done but can lead to exhaustion. If I notice it, I try to catch it in the moment and have a break. I also get majorly stuck on thoughts. More awareness of this has lead to acceptance but it doesn't really help.

This is something I do struggle with at both extremes. This is an excellent article - there might be tips in here but I can't remember: 

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpsyg.2021.631596/full

I could talk a lot longer about this. I think it pervades every aspect of my life.

Children
No Data