Autism assessment with moderately high IQ

Not sure how to ask this without sounding like a complete *** ... so I'll just ask it...

I am waiting for my autism assessment (I already know I am) and am wondering if there is such a thing as someone who specializes in assessing hi IQ people. (I have done a few IQ tests but the one I generally quote is the ed-psych administered wechsler test i did when i was being assessed for dyslexia in school - 132 ... and yes, i am).

My concern is that, on a good day, i am great at masking (as far as I can tell i suppose). I can be articulate, polite, friendly and funny.

I have to think that the way I will present is vastly different to someone without the good fortune to have an IQ like mine.

I score VERY high on the autism tests and show many of the autism traits ... but I have masked so long, I don't know how to turn it off.

from my research, it is a concerned shared by many; "how will they see past the mask?".

So there are two questions;

1. are there people who specialize in assessing people like me?

2. What is the advice on helping people see past the mask?

Any advice would be gratefully received. ... and please feel free to call me a ***! :-)

Parents
  • I have a high IQ. You might want to seek out a private assessor, which will cost, but usually they should at least give you a free chat first on the telephone or in person. You can research the private assessors available in your area and pick one that suits you. 

In my case I opted for someone that had good qualifications from a good university, I wanted a building I felt comfortable with so opted for someone taking assessments from a beautiful old fashioned building, with cafes nearby so I could get a coffee before hand and use the toilet so I could get myself ready before going to the assessment. I also planned to go to lunch after the assessment in order to make it a nice calm day, I did not choose my place for lunch before hand, but went a wander afterwards around town to walk off any stress and I went to a French style cafe, which was very nice. 

In the end, it gave me good memories of that day as, I enjoyed my coffee and then my walk around town and my nice French luncheon. I even dressed up nice to look formal for the occassion. I like to do things like that, It made the day better. 

A full assessment can be very expensive, so I told the assessor that it would be too expensive, so she agreed to a smaller amount for an hours chat and it that chat she said that I was autistic and she wrote out a very short report for me, and that was enough for me. Others may wish/need to go for a full assessment that costs much more. 

• I have a high IQ. You might want to seek out a private assessor, which will cost, but usually they should at least give you a free chat first on the telephone or in person. You can research the private assessors available in your area and pick one that suits you. 

In my case I opted for someone that had good qualifications from a good university, I wanted a building I felt comfortable with so opted for someone taking assessments from a beautiful old fashioned building, with cafes nearby so I could get a coffee before hand and use the toilet so I could get myself ready before going to the assessment. I also planned to go to lunch after the assessment in order to make it a nice calm day, I did not choose my place for lunch before hand, but went a wander afterwards around town to walk off any stress and I went to a French style cafe, which was very nice. 

In the end, it gave me good memories of that day as, I enjoyed my coffee and then my walk around town and my nice French luncheon. I even dressed up nice to look formal for the occassion. I like to do things like that, It made the day better. 

A full assessment can be very expensive, so I told the assessor that it would be too expensive, so she agreed to a smaller amount for an hours chat and it that chat she said that I was autistic and she wrote out a very short report for me, and that was enough for me. Others may wish/need to go for a full assessment that costs much more. 

Children
No Data