Autism assessment with moderately high IQ

Not sure how to ask this without sounding like a complete *** ... so I'll just ask it...

I am waiting for my autism assessment (I already know I am) and am wondering if there is such a thing as someone who specializes in assessing hi IQ people. (I have done a few IQ tests but the one I generally quote is the ed-psych administered wechsler test i did when i was being assessed for dyslexia in school - 132 ... and yes, i am).

My concern is that, on a good day, i am great at masking (as far as I can tell i suppose). I can be articulate, polite, friendly and funny.

I have to think that the way I will present is vastly different to someone without the good fortune to have an IQ like mine.

I score VERY high on the autism tests and show many of the autism traits ... but I have masked so long, I don't know how to turn it off.

from my research, it is a concerned shared by many; "how will they see past the mask?".

So there are two questions;

1. are there people who specialize in assessing people like me?

2. What is the advice on helping people see past the mask?

Any advice would be gratefully received. ... and please feel free to call me a ***! :-)

Parents
  • You are not a *****, but I do think you have conflated IQ and masking in an inappropriate way.  Some of our autistic tribe have mind-blowing IQs, but would not be able to mask if their life depended on it.  I have little doubt that the reverse condition exists too.

I share your reservations about finding an assessor who would be able to empower me enough to unmask in a "formal" assessment setting.

Perhaps, both you and I are ******?  I'm content with that, if you are!  My assessment took over 6 years and cost hundreds of thousands......others here would call it a mega burnout.

• You are not a *****, but I do think you have conflated IQ and masking in an inappropriate way.  Some of our autistic tribe have mind-blowing IQs, but would not be able to mask if their life depended on it.  I have little doubt that the reverse condition exists too.

I share your reservations about finding an assessor who would be able to empower me enough to unmask in a "formal" assessment setting.

Perhaps, both you and I are ******?  I'm content with that, if you are!  My assessment took over 6 years and cost hundreds of thousands......others here would call it a mega burnout.

Children
No Data