Nervous - My autism assessment in a few days

I have an appointment this week

Anyway I was expecting a long wait and now my appointment is in 5 days, not sure if this is an autism thing, but I need time to prepare myself for things I get anxious when things I have set in my mind to do change. So now I am panicking as haven't had that mental time to settle myself to do the appointment. 

I am also excited because if I am diagnosed as autistic this will make so much sense of my daily struggles, but also will make me sad to have been misunderstood and struggled for many many years.

Any advice please? 

Were you nervous before assessment?

How did you feel once diagnosed, especially if older like me?

Parents
  • Hi ya. I had mine last Saturday and I was also very nervous! I made lots of notes as I knew I would go blank when the asked me questions, so preparing really helped me.

They ask some odd questions, but humour them! Don't worry if you get stuck on anything they ask, I got the impression that they expected some questions to be tricky. 

The guy I had conduct my assessment (it was online) was really nice and calm, which really helped. The whole thing took approximately two hours.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer!

• Thank you Mine is online too. When you mean made notes do you mean of all your difficulties quirks? I have written a list of these. How long do you wait for your results? Did you have two assessments? Sorry loads of questions, one of my quirks! 

• Yes, notes about my quirks! He told me at the end of the assessment that I met the criteria for diagnosis, so you should find out on the day.

I had an initial assessment with the GP, then a second and final assessment with a psychiatrist.

• I asked for a break halfway!

• Thank you for your information and tips. I have been told mine is in two parts, one on Thursday for 2 hours another 4 days later for approx 3 hours. Mostly worried I will get overwhelmed if the questions feel to intense for me.

• Thank you for your information and tips. I have been told mine is in two parts, one on Thursday for 2 hours another 4 days later for approx 3 hours. Mostly worried I will get overwhelmed if the questions feel to intense for me.

Children