First appointment with GP to discuss Autism referral - any tips?

Hi All! 

I now have my first appointment through to speak to my GP about a referral for Autism (and ADHD) in late June. I'm both excited and anxious to get the process started. I've heard bad things about trying to get diagnosed in my area so I wondered if anyone had any tips for how they made sure that their GP took them seriously?

I'm an adult female which I've heard means that symptoms can present differently, the research isn't as grounded, and someone I have spoken to said they really had to fight to be diagnoses even though their difficulties were quite obvious (because they were female). 

I'm pulling together a research pack before my appointment, which admittedly is partly for my own use, I like to gather my information together to make sense of things  (instead of the deluge of open tabs and sporadic notes that I currently have on my phone). As part of this pack, I'm planning to identify what difficulties I am currently experiencing and how it relates to Autism (or ADHD), what difficulties I have experienced in my childhood (and how they relate again), any masking behaviours I have identified, the impact on the different areas of my life, and then the PDF files of several quizzes that I have done on this page (https://embrace-autism.com/autism-tests/). I did a bunch of tests and nearly all of them showed I had Autism. 

Oh - I'm also going to identify what help I've received in the past as well (I've had a few forms of therapy) and am currently paying for private therapy. My therapist agrees that I have Autism and ADHD based on what I've told them (though they aren't qualified to diagnose me) so I'm hoping that will help too. 

The plan is that I can leave a copy of that pack with my GP so they are actually informed when writing the referral because I know I'll go to pieces the moment I'm actually in the appointment. I get emotional very easily and it's so difficult to explain what's going on when you're crying - especially when under the usual GP appointment time pressure. 

Does anyone else have any other ideas?

Many thanks and take care

• Thank you, Andrew. I'm planning at the moment to use the right to chose referral service and go in armed with a stack of research. I'm not opposed to going private but I got so mixed up with all the options that I wanted to get my foot on the ladder within the NHS first and then get deep into researching (and possibly saving). 

I'm sorry you've had such a bad experience with it all though. 

• I would suggest from experiences with our son you are completely wasting your time talking to a GP. They do not understand Autism and just want to pigeon hole you. They will refer you to mental health and well being and they are equally a waste of space and time

• That's really not that bad - someone I spoke to had their waiting list as 3 years so I had really, really lowered my expectations. My work have been really accommodating and are prepared to make adjustments without a diagnosis but I don't exactly know what adjustments I need at the moment. 

Please do keep us updated too! I completely agree that phone calls are the worst for so many reasons. I didn't realise this was a trait of Autism either until I started doing more research into it. I thought it was just me being awkward... 

I've heard that too and I'm really going to be pushing the Autism over the ADHD. My ADHD traits are very manageable compared to my Autism ones. Maybe they tend to go for ADHD because it is perhaps (and this could be my ignorance) less complex?  

• Thanks, I'm a firm believer in "you work with what you've been given"!

• I'm so glad you posted this! I'm booked in with my GP next week to talk about being referred for an autism assessment so have been worrying about what I need to pull together for the appointment.

I'm also an adult woman, have had a variety of therapies in the past and am seeing a therapist privately, mostly because I wasn't willing to do another round of CBT which seems to be all that's offered around by me. My AQ score is high and my therapist has agreed it's very likely I have autism but I struggle to convey information well under pressure so I worry I won't be able to explain myself very well. The information pack sounds like a great idea.

• The waiting list for Psychiatry-UK is 18 weeks at the moment. In the grand scheme of things and how long I had to wait for adhd assessment that doesn't seem too long to me. I have already had adjustments made at work for my adhd and the adjustments pretty much cover any autistic traits I may have. 

I'm not sure about local referral times. I'm yet to hear from my GP, I handed my letter and AQ test in on Thursday evening for the doctor, so if I've not heard anything by Friday next week I'll give them a call to chase it up. She says nonchalantly, even though phone calls are the worst! Joy

I hope you aren't waiting too long, keep us updated! 

One thing I have heard is that "they" whoever they are prefer to diagnose and treat the adhd first before assessing for Autism? I'm not sure on the credibility of that statement. But certainly since being on adhd medication is when I've started realising I may also be autistic. This is a common occurrence which I don't know the reason for and keep meaning to look up. 

• Thank you, MrsW! It's good to know that GPs should struggle to refuse me if I score highly. 

How long is your waiting list to be seen if you don't mind me asking? 

It's good to know that I'm not alone in falling to pieces when under pressure - though, I'm sorry you're in the same situation as it sucks. 

I'll check out the Psychiatry-UK website - thank you Slight smile

• Thank you, Martin! I'll definitely do that. 

• I think the fact you've included the AQ test in your info should be enough. I don't think GP's can refuse to refer you if you score high on that test. The same with adhd.

I have requested a referral to psychiatry UK via Right to Choose from my GP. I was diagnosed with ADHD last June through them and my psychiatrist agreed I scored highly on the AQ test and wrote to my GP as well.

I, like you, fall to pieces when under pressure and in settings where I'm trying to explain myself.

The Psychiatry-UK website has a template letter and AQ test you can print and fill in to show your doctor. If you want to get referred to them that is. If you're in England you can request referral via Right to Choose to any NHS provider, not just your local NHS service, which may have long waiting times. 

• Have a look at the diagnostic criteria for autism in the  ICD-10 and The DSM-5 manuals. Try to fit your traits and history into their sub-groupings and make sure you cover all the necessary ones. Also, you will need to show autistic traits going back to early childhood and that your autism has a deleterious effect on your day to day life.