How do people react to your autism diagnosis?

I'm just interested whether they think it's a problem or not. With my own, most people will say "I'm so sorry" like it's a disease that's going to kill me in a few months time. Lol. I don't know why some people feel like that with it. I personally embrace it. I love being autistic and having a love of knowledge on another level and info dumping to my family. I like how I can eat the same foods, be repetitive with the same films (thank you, subtitles), I love how it makes me unique! 

I wonder if one day it will be seen in a more positive light?

Parents
  • I think people don't believe it, because on the surface I look like I am really capable and can cope with stuff because I (somehow) manage to have a busy life. Unless they live with me they don't see that under the surface and behind the scenes I am on almost total cool down and maintenance so that by the time I next leave the house I can function. I tread water until I get home then I have to go into rest and respite mode or the second the door is closed behind me I have a meltdown or need to immediately lock myself away to keep longer shutdowns at bay. The thing is I can't %100 not mask when I'm out, even in places where people know or accept that I am autistic because I can't always avoid the stuff that adds to the stress, some stuff just does suck, sucks for NTs too, and so will always suck, but has to be done in adult life, and no I can't stimm how I really need to in order to let out the ardfsfddfugfg! feeling.

• I think people don't believe it, because on the surface I look like I am really capable and can cope with stuff because I (somehow) manage to have a busy life. Unless they live with me they don't see that under the surface and behind the scenes I am on almost total cool down and maintenance so that by the time I next leave the house I can function. I tread water until I get home then I have to go into rest and respite mode or the second the door is closed behind me I have a meltdown or need to immediately lock myself away to keep longer shutdowns at bay. The thing is I can't %100 not mask when I'm out, even in places where people know or accept that I am autistic because I can't always avoid the stuff that adds to the stress, some stuff just does suck, sucks for NTs too, and so will always suck, but has to be done in adult life, and no I can't stimm how I really need to in order to let out the ardfsfddfugfg! feeling.

Children