How do people react to your autism diagnosis?

I'm just interested whether they think it's a problem or not. With my own, most people will say "I'm so sorry" like it's a disease that's going to kill me in a few months time. Lol. I don't know why some people feel like that with it. I personally embrace it. I love being autistic and having a love of knowledge on another level and info dumping to my family. I like how I can eat the same foods, be repetitive with the same films (thank you, subtitles), I love how it makes me unique! 

I wonder if one day it will be seen in a more positive light?

Parents
  • People’s reactions to an autism diagnosis vary greatly, depending on their own personal experiences and understanding of autism. Many people find it difficult to come to terms with or accept the news at first and may feel overwhelmed by all the changes they might need to make. Others may react positively, embracing their diagnosis as a way of accepting and celebrating their neurology.

When I found out I was autistic, my initial reaction was one of relief: finally, I had an explanation for why certain things were so hard for me in life. It felt like a huge weight off my shoulders and motivated me to learn more about myself and how best to navigate being autistic in our society.

Once I started talking publicly about my diagnosis some friends reacted with surprise while others said they were not too shocked as they had noticed certain traits before but hadn't been sure how these related back to autism specifically. Some family members had difficulty believing it initially but have since become much more supportive after learning more about the condition from various sources such as books, seminars or online resources.

It can be helpful for those close to you if you provide them with reliable information about autism so that they can better understand what your diagnosis means for you specifically as well as getting an accurate picture of what being on the spectrum is generally like - this could include examples from autobiographical accounts written by other autistic people which often offer insight into everyday experiences many will relate with on some level.

Overall, reactions tend depend heavily on individual prior experiences – regardless of whether someone is a friend, family member or acquaintance – but having access good quality resources helps significantly in making sure those around us are equipped with correct facts when responding sensitively yet effectively.

• People’s reactions to an autism diagnosis vary greatly, depending on their own personal experiences and understanding of autism. Many people find it difficult to come to terms with or accept the news at first and may feel overwhelmed by all the changes they might need to make. Others may react positively, embracing their diagnosis as a way of accepting and celebrating their neurology.

When I found out I was autistic, my initial reaction was one of relief: finally, I had an explanation for why certain things were so hard for me in life. It felt like a huge weight off my shoulders and motivated me to learn more about myself and how best to navigate being autistic in our society.

Once I started talking publicly about my diagnosis some friends reacted with surprise while others said they were not too shocked as they had noticed certain traits before but hadn't been sure how these related back to autism specifically. Some family members had difficulty believing it initially but have since become much more supportive after learning more about the condition from various sources such as books, seminars or online resources.

It can be helpful for those close to you if you provide them with reliable information about autism so that they can better understand what your diagnosis means for you specifically as well as getting an accurate picture of what being on the spectrum is generally like - this could include examples from autobiographical accounts written by other autistic people which often offer insight into everyday experiences many will relate with on some level.

Overall, reactions tend depend heavily on individual prior experiences – regardless of whether someone is a friend, family member or acquaintance – but having access good quality resources helps significantly in making sure those around us are equipped with correct facts when responding sensitively yet effectively.

Children
No Data