Assignments

I’m an apprentice and I love my apprenticeship. I get every Wednesday off for college work and I’m on my second to last assignment. But I’m finding this one really hard. Some days I can be on a role and wrote loads hitting all the marks but today I can barely form a paragraph and feel like I’m getting nowhere

Parents
  • Hi Andi, this sounds so familiar to me and I know just how frustrating it can be. You're not alone. 

Recently I have started using the pomodoro technique to help improve my focus. It works by dedicating set amounts of time to focus that are in manageable chunks and giving yourself rest breaks. I use a 25 minute focus/5 minute break split but on bad days I have used 5/5 which has been much more productive than what I felt was just starting at my screen! There's information about this technique here https://todoist.com/productivity-methods/pomodoro-technique

There are loads of different apps you can use to help manage your time in this way, you can also find music videos on YouTube with these timers built in. I personally use an app on Android called Forest. It plants a virtual tree whenever I complete a focus session and that helps keep me motivated to continue - it's also nice to see my forest grow in the day! 

I find that after a couple of cycles my brain can sometimes kick back into gear and start focusing again, and sometimes I can then stop using the timer - though I then like to use it to remind myself to take breaks. 

While in focus mode I use the digital wellbeing settings on my phone to mute non essential apps to reduce my chances of procrastinating and stop notifications popping up and distracting me.

I hope this helps! 

• Hi Andi, this sounds so familiar to me and I know just how frustrating it can be. You're not alone. 

Recently I have started using the pomodoro technique to help improve my focus. It works by dedicating set amounts of time to focus that are in manageable chunks and giving yourself rest breaks. I use a 25 minute focus/5 minute break split but on bad days I have used 5/5 which has been much more productive than what I felt was just starting at my screen! There's information about this technique here https://todoist.com/productivity-methods/pomodoro-technique

There are loads of different apps you can use to help manage your time in this way, you can also find music videos on YouTube with these timers built in. I personally use an app on Android called Forest. It plants a virtual tree whenever I complete a focus session and that helps keep me motivated to continue - it's also nice to see my forest grow in the day! 

I find that after a couple of cycles my brain can sometimes kick back into gear and start focusing again, and sometimes I can then stop using the timer - though I then like to use it to remind myself to take breaks. 

While in focus mode I use the digital wellbeing settings on my phone to mute non essential apps to reduce my chances of procrastinating and stop notifications popping up and distracting me.

I hope this helps! 

Children