Do I have autism ?

Hi ,

Sorry if this is a long ramble but I have been thinking about it for a while .

My son has autism and learning difficulties , when I have told people a couple have commented 'I think you have it ' and my wifes said the same .

In truth it's not something I either knew or thought about until my sons diagnosis ,and has thrown up a lot of contradictions in my own head as I have always been a bit 'different ' but I just put it down to us all being unique in our own way . 

I enjoy spending time by myself and need that , as I have always found people exhausting after an amount of time but I have always just thought i was more introverted than extroverted , although I have lots of friends it takes me a while to take to someone ; but once I do they are my friend forever I guess .

I really have set routine and a massive fear of change , the main fear is the fear that something will change .even if when it gets to the 'thing ' that I am worried about does not actually change -it really stresses me out and I wish i could change and cope better with this again I thought this was just part of my personality .

I get fixated on things and tend to only be able to focus on that one thing at once and it sort of takes over , I cannot think about more than one thing at once and tend to just function and think about that thing - it's my teeth at this point as I decided to try and improve them so I have been talking about them a lot at home , it's normally some sort of sporting statistics as I love sports .

I struggle to understand empathy to , emotions and other peoples are very difficult for my I have not cried since I was 10 and I am now 35 .

That's a brief overview , It's something that that keeps popping in to my head and was wondering if anyone else is similiar /been in the same situation and if i should go down the route of a potential diagnosis . 

Parents
  • My stock advice is, take some online autism tests. AQ10 and AQ50 (sometimes called just 'AQ') are the most commonly used by clinicians in this country, but the RAADS-R is the most definitive. They can be found here: embrace-autism.com/.../
    If you score in the autism range it will give you more certainty about following up on a diagnosis.

• Thanks Martin i just did one of the tests and scored 35/50  on the AQ50 one i will try the others later .

• I scored 141 on that Raads one  .

• Autistic traits can be very definite strengths. My eye for detail and thoroughness made me the go to person for proofreading PhD theses in my university department. I lost count of how many I have done. My own theses were both passed without correction, which is relatively unusual. Once I worked out that I was most probably autistic, I needed external confirmation and validation. Luckily, I was in the fortunate position to be able to afford a private assessment, so only waited about a month.

• Autistic traits can be very definite strengths. My eye for detail and thoroughness made me the go to person for proofreading PhD theses in my university department. I lost count of how many I have done. My own theses were both passed without correction, which is relatively unusual. Once I worked out that I was most probably autistic, I needed external confirmation and validation. Luckily, I was in the fortunate position to be able to afford a private assessment, so only waited about a month.

Children
No Data