Brilliant ‘Am I Autistic?’ Article

Hello fellow autistic people! I thought I would share this brilliant article for any of you questioning your autistic identity or if you are at the start of your autistic discovery journey. This article compiles some common autistic experiences and is by the awesomely autistic founder of Ausome Training.

https://ausometraining.com/am-i-autistic/

I hope this helps you on your  autistic discovery journey! Good luck! We are here for you.

Parents
  • Thanks for sharing this article. It was really interesting and thought provoking.

As I read through it I was thinking that not every single thing applied to me so I can't be autistic! (Those smart online tests suggest otherwise) I've spent 60 years trying to fit in it's so hard to really know who I am as I've spent so long masking.  I even got to the point of following the link for an appointment for an official diagnosis. And now I'm sat here crying - because? What if I spend all that money on an assessment and they say - nah. You're brain just works in the regular way and your self diagnosis is nonsense and actually - you're just a bit odd but not autistic. I'm super sensitive to criticism and rejection and that makes me feel fearful of moving from self diagnosis to official diagnosis. Ah the joys of imposter syndrome :( 

• You are very welcome, I am glad you found the article thought provoking.

As I read through it I was thinking that not every single thing applied to me so I can't be autistic! (Those smart online tests suggest otherwise) I've spent 60 years trying to fit in it's so hard to really know who I am as I've spent so long masking.

Just because you don’t relate to every autistic experience mentioned in the article, doesn’t mean you are not autistic. There is no one way to be autistic, our community is so diverse and that is what makes it so beautiful. You know yourself best, so please don’t use this article as a substitute for formal identification. You are the expert on your own experience.

I even got to the point of following the link for an appointment for an official diagnosis. And now I'm sat here crying - because? What if I spend all that money on an assessment and they say - nah. You're brain just works in the regular way and your self diagnosis is nonsense and actually - you're just a bit odd but not autistic. I'm super sensitive to criticism and rejection and that makes me feel fearful of moving from self diagnosis to official diagnosis. Ah the joys of imposter syndrome :( 

It can take a while to understand who you are after years of masking, it is common to go through a period of self discovery when you realise you are autistic. I am sorry you are struggling with imposter syndrome, this along with rejection sensitivity are common experiences in our community. You are not alone. I hope you feel like your experiences are validated in this autistic community.

You know yourself better than anyone else.

This video below might help you understand your imposter syndrome/why you are questioning your autistic identity:

https://www.youtube.com/live/oo34mppLMqE?feature=share

I hope this helps!

• You are very welcome, I am glad you found the article thought provoking.

As I read through it I was thinking that not every single thing applied to me so I can't be autistic! (Those smart online tests suggest otherwise) I've spent 60 years trying to fit in it's so hard to really know who I am as I've spent so long masking.

Just because you don’t relate to every autistic experience mentioned in the article, doesn’t mean you are not autistic. There is no one way to be autistic, our community is so diverse and that is what makes it so beautiful. You know yourself best, so please don’t use this article as a substitute for formal identification. You are the expert on your own experience.

I even got to the point of following the link for an appointment for an official diagnosis. And now I'm sat here crying - because? What if I spend all that money on an assessment and they say - nah. You're brain just works in the regular way and your self diagnosis is nonsense and actually - you're just a bit odd but not autistic. I'm super sensitive to criticism and rejection and that makes me feel fearful of moving from self diagnosis to official diagnosis. Ah the joys of imposter syndrome :( 

It can take a while to understand who you are after years of masking, it is common to go through a period of self discovery when you realise you are autistic. I am sorry you are struggling with imposter syndrome, this along with rejection sensitivity are common experiences in our community. You are not alone. I hope you feel like your experiences are validated in this autistic community.

You know yourself better than anyone else.

This video below might help you understand your imposter syndrome/why you are questioning your autistic identity:

https://www.youtube.com/live/oo34mppLMqE?feature=share

I hope this helps!

Children
No Data