Autism with a PDA profile

Hi, I just wanted to share my sons recent diagnosis of PDA, some people are not aware of this but it is a co- existing condition with Autism, pathological demand avoidance, there is not much awareness but the PDA society are working on broadening this with their awareness day in May.

I hoped to find some information here but struggling to find any, I do feel it should be here also, and the autistic society should join them in awareness, and combine courses offered to families, currently the PDA society don’t offer these for free. 

I have 2 children with ASD but my sons was different, we knew there was something more going on, always around anything negative like saying “no” he would explode, run in a busy road, attack me, throw things, he struggled severely with his emotions, even though he was in an autistic school getting all the support, nothing helped, struggling with every day demands.

in desperation I reached out to advanced solutions, and what they said was like a light bulb moment, 6 months later he was assessed and diagnosed with PDA, I did the courses with the PDA society, and I can honestly say what an improvement we have seen, simple things like not saying “no” but instead “not now but maybe later” school have been able to support him more and now he is improving.

the reason I am sharing this is more for the awareness, if you know something is just not right, reach out and don’t give up, the support can really make a difference, and be ready to go the extra mile, because my sons school was not supportive of this and refused to think it was possible, I reached out to my gp for a paediatrician appointment, it was them and chams mental health team that arrange the assessment, and I am so glad I went the extra mile, or my son would have just been labelled as a naughty boy with Autism, when instead he was really struggling and just needed the right help.

I hope I have inspired others by sharing my story, don’t ever give up, there is support we just need to put on the right path.