Non smartphone users of the world unite!

Who else on this forum doesn't own a smartphone? Comment on here if you don't have one. 
I would love to know your reasons why as well

I have been heartened to know that I am not alone in standing against the mind numbing, anxiety machines that rule the modern world!

Parents
  • As I said before, I refuse to have a smart phone. I dislike objects which think they are smart! On a practical level my arthritic hands don't do well with touch screens and my eyes are not what they were (no, they are still eyes! Wow, that would be weird... haha. I just mean they don't see close things so well any more) and I hate wearing glasses (though I have some on now because this text is stupidly small). But then also I don't want a lot of the carp that goes along with the thing.

I do have an old mobile phone for emergencies, which I struggle to even turn on because I use it so rarely I am unsure which is the on switch and then it has to be confirmed and I sometimes press the wrong button then and turn it off! It makes me feel icky and I even get nightmares about phones, like once I had to call the police and the phone had no 9 on it!

But I rarely go out without my husband and he has a smart phone, so maybe that's cheating? Sometimes I find it useful but also I didn't really want him to get one. I am hugely offended by the modern world trying to enforce use of the wretched things as it is discrimination against people who either don't want one or can't use one or can't afford one. And the ethics of manufacture is rarely mentioned! Not just the built in obsolescence angle which I am sure most of us despise, but yeah, don't get me started.

We did have a thread not that long ago on a similar topic. It seems many of us hate the things and some of us love them and wouldn't be without them. But i reckon a way higher proportion of us reject them than the general population, which i find interesting.

• As I said before, I refuse to have a smart phone. I dislike objects which think they are smart! On a practical level my arthritic hands don't do well with touch screens and my eyes are not what they were (no, they are still eyes! Wow, that would be weird... haha. I just mean they don't see close things so well any more) and I hate wearing glasses (though I have some on now because this text is stupidly small). But then also I don't want a lot of the carp that goes along with the thing.

I do have an old mobile phone for emergencies, which I struggle to even turn on because I use it so rarely I am unsure which is the on switch and then it has to be confirmed and I sometimes press the wrong button then and turn it off! It makes me feel icky and I even get nightmares about phones, like once I had to call the police and the phone had no 9 on it!

But I rarely go out without my husband and he has a smart phone, so maybe that's cheating? Sometimes I find it useful but also I didn't really want him to get one. I am hugely offended by the modern world trying to enforce use of the wretched things as it is discrimination against people who either don't want one or can't use one or can't afford one. And the ethics of manufacture is rarely mentioned! Not just the built in obsolescence angle which I am sure most of us despise, but yeah, don't get me started.

We did have a thread not that long ago on a similar topic. It seems many of us hate the things and some of us love them and wouldn't be without them. But i reckon a way higher proportion of us reject them than the general population, which i find interesting.

Children
  • I think I'd be more organised with one. I'd have everything in one place such as reminders, alarms,  calendar etc. But there's all the other distractions that come with it. I like the tactile nature of actual buttons. In any case I prefer physical pen and paper. Sidestep but in the olden days I used to have a pen friend. This "slow" method of communication was great and the excitement of receiving a hand written envelope never went away.