Declaring your autism at work

Just wondering is there any point declaring your autism at work? Would be interested to hear people's experiences

I declared mine before starting a job for the first time ever with my new job. I thought it would help but I'm not sure it has. I feel like my bosses treat me with more understanding which is a good thing but everything else is the same or worse

I had an Occupational Health Assesment where I said what my reasonable adjustments needed to be. The main one was having a regular timetable that didnt change without warning

2 weeks into the job and I am still the only teaching assistant in the college without a timetable. My boss said to me "You can design your own timetable" since she knows I need one. In a new job, where I know none of the classes or students. Also, the only way to do this is to use software systems that I have never used before and havn't been shown how to use, even though I am supposed to have been trained on them. She also sent me a email notification to have a 1-2-1 meeting with me at the end of the day with no message attached to explain what the meeting was about or any warning that it was going to happen. Yet she writes blogs on autism for the organisation's website so I dont understand how she doesnt understand these things.

Everyone's telling me different things today in the office. Different people from different departments are coming up to me telling me totally contradictory things about what I am supposed to be doing till the end of term, there's no communication and it seems even more confusing than my previous jobs. 

Makes me wonder what the point of disclosing my autism was 

Parents
  • I was worried about this - I'm just starting a new job at a school and did disclose to the head and other staff. A few gave me judging looks, but most were ok about it. The head and one teacher were especially supportive and pleased. This teacher is called Alice and she said it's good because it will show the kids that even if they have difficulties that they can overcome them and still achieve. So in my case, I think disclosing was a good thing and worked to my advantage but I guess it wouldn't be the same for every job and also depending on what your employer and colleagues are like as well.

• I was worried about this - I'm just starting a new job at a school and did disclose to the head and other staff. A few gave me judging looks, but most were ok about it. The head and one teacher were especially supportive and pleased. This teacher is called Alice and she said it's good because it will show the kids that even if they have difficulties that they can overcome them and still achieve. So in my case, I think disclosing was a good thing and worked to my advantage but I guess it wouldn't be the same for every job and also depending on what your employer and colleagues are like as well.

Children
No Data