Meet Ups For Adults

What have your experiences been like?

Parents
  • Hi, I was diagnosed last year and went to an autistic adult meet up not long after. It was realy lovely connecting and finding my 'tribe'. We shared our experiences of receiving our diagnosis as adults and our difficulties prior to diagnosis. It was very heartwarming. But, a man at the meeting took a real liking to me and wanted more than just friendship. He had a real negative affect on my mental health. Unbeknownst to him, I developed a fixation. I knew it wouldnt end well as his communication skills were poor and meeting up was always on his terms. I'm having to deal with the after effects of it now which is pretty stressful tbh. Also, I made a lovely kind hearted friend but one time I completely forgot that we had arranged to have a zoom chat. I apologised and explained why I had forgotten (it was around the buzz of Christmas time). She told me to respect her which realy upset me as I've always been a respectful and kind person. So for me it started off lovely but didn't end well unfortunately. I think its important to be self aware and to take it slowly with knew friendships. I've learnt from it but it hasn't stopped me from looking for the right neurodiverse friends. Best of luck with it and I hope I haven't sounded too negative and put you off!! 

• Hi, I was diagnosed last year and went to an autistic adult meet up not long after. It was realy lovely connecting and finding my 'tribe'. We shared our experiences of receiving our diagnosis as adults and our difficulties prior to diagnosis. It was very heartwarming. But, a man at the meeting took a real liking to me and wanted more than just friendship. He had a real negative affect on my mental health. Unbeknownst to him, I developed a fixation. I knew it wouldnt end well as his communication skills were poor and meeting up was always on his terms. I'm having to deal with the after effects of it now which is pretty stressful tbh. Also, I made a lovely kind hearted friend but one time I completely forgot that we had arranged to have a zoom chat. I apologised and explained why I had forgotten (it was around the buzz of Christmas time). She told me to respect her which realy upset me as I've always been a respectful and kind person. So for me it started off lovely but didn't end well unfortunately. I think its important to be self aware and to take it slowly with knew friendships. I've learnt from it but it hasn't stopped me from looking for the right neurodiverse friends. Best of luck with it and I hope I haven't sounded too negative and put you off!! 

Children
No Data