How do y'all feel about use of the word "aut*st"?

How do y'all feel about an autistic person identifying as an "aut*st" or calling their autistic friends they have close relationships with the same word? My autistic friend prefers it because he says it is "taking the word back", but only autistic people can use it. He likens it to the n-word or h*llbilly.

Personally, I agree with him. In fact, I designed a shirt that says "All my friends are aut*sts" (but actually spelled out without the astrix). It's from a running personal joke where I was completely unaware I was autistic and just thought I liked autistic people, which is why I would say, "All my friends are autistic." Using the word "aut*sts" in the shirt would be an indirect way of disclosing my autism flavor since only autistic people can use it. Would this shirt be offensive?

Parents
  • I like the connotation of the word if you take it literally from the Greek it more or less translates as at someone whose profession occupation and expertise is being themselves

• I did not know that.

I am VERY pleased to know it now.

The Greek translation of the word is how I have described my "job" for two decades ie. I don't have a job - its just me being me.....I don't think of it as work / a job - it is merely my innate activities that I am lucky enough to receive money for.

Thank you VERY much Peter - you have made me very happy.

• I did not know that.

I am VERY pleased to know it now.

The Greek translation of the word is how I have described my "job" for two decades ie. I don't have a job - its just me being me.....I don't think of it as work / a job - it is merely my innate activities that I am lucky enough to receive money for.

Thank you VERY much Peter - you have made me very happy.

Children
No Data