Autistic teacher - recommendations for coping strategies

Hi,

I have recently been diagnosed with autism. I have always found my job as a teacher extremely hard, but always thought that everyone was finding it as hard as me. 

Now, after extensive reading, I know that how much I struggle in a class of children is because of my sensory processing - especially with noise.

I have put together a little bag of calming things to try and help - fidget spinner, stress ball, ear plugs, etc. But I was wondering what other people use?

I find the noise at times just too much, and I can't leave the classroom, so it has to be things I can sit and do at my desk and will not distract the children.

Any help would be greatly received!

Thanks,

L

Parents
  • Hi

Well this is my first ever post of any kind, but as a teacher myself I completely understand where you’re coming from and felt the urge to reply. I teach in a secondary school and I worry my classroom is too noisy as to me it sometimes is, but others tell me it is always calm - I have hypersensitivity to noise. At the end of each lesson I feel utterly exhausted from having to put on a performance for an hour, and I like to hide away from people (staff and students) at break and lunch to recover from the demands. I was only diagnosed a few months ago and it was such a relief to get the diagnosis as my life makes so much more sense to me now! 
    There is one thing I wanted to ask other teachers- do you struggle with professional boundaries? I have had a couple of issues where I have been told off by the Head for being too friendly with students - I must stress here nothing weird, purely being too friendly with the students in general! I speak to them sometimes how I would speak to a colleague. I find any interaction with any human very awkward and uncomfortable. I have been having counselling for several months now to help me navigate the world, and it’s helped me get a good understanding of boundaries, so it’s an issue I believe I have now overcome, but I’d really like to hear from any other teachers who may have struggled in the same way I did. 
    Best wishes everyone.

• Hi

Well this is my first ever post of any kind, but as a teacher myself I completely understand where you’re coming from and felt the urge to reply. I teach in a secondary school and I worry my classroom is too noisy as to me it sometimes is, but others tell me it is always calm - I have hypersensitivity to noise. At the end of each lesson I feel utterly exhausted from having to put on a performance for an hour, and I like to hide away from people (staff and students) at break and lunch to recover from the demands. I was only diagnosed a few months ago and it was such a relief to get the diagnosis as my life makes so much more sense to me now! 
    There is one thing I wanted to ask other teachers- do you struggle with professional boundaries? I have had a couple of issues where I have been told off by the Head for being too friendly with students - I must stress here nothing weird, purely being too friendly with the students in general! I speak to them sometimes how I would speak to a colleague. I find any interaction with any human very awkward and uncomfortable. I have been having counselling for several months now to help me navigate the world, and it’s helped me get a good understanding of boundaries, so it’s an issue I believe I have now overcome, but I’d really like to hear from any other teachers who may have struggled in the same way I did. 
    Best wishes everyone.

Children
  • Yes I agree, I am exhausted by the end of the day with the noise and transitions, etc.

I don't have issues with boundaries, but I feel more recently like I am the opposite to what you are saying as I won't joke or show much friendliness because I am struggling so much myself. I'm hoping by putting some strategies in place that people have mentioned in this thread that I can enjoy the job more!