Did anyone's masking unconsciously just stop happening after adult diagnosis?

Hi everyone,

This is my very first post here on the forum!

I was officially diagnosed with autism last Monday, I knew I was, but there was something around to official diagnosis that changed me. 

I have been consciously trying to continue to mask at work, people would normally see me as a bubbly, outgoing, confident individual and I didn't intend to let my work "mask" slip any time soon. However, I find myself being more blunt when answering things, and being more reserved when I would normally be super involved in group meetings. To the point where my colleagues joke about me being quiet "for once" and wondering if something is up.

I actually didn't even know I was doing anything different, I thought I just had nothing to say on the topics being discussed, but I don't really feel ready at all to discuss this with my peers or boss (even if I ever do!)

Just wondering what everyone else's experience is like with this? I have heard a lot about learning to unmask but I just haven't gotten that far yet given it is really new for me.

Thank you

Parents
  • Post diagnosis is a bit of a rollercoaster, which I’m still on 6 weeks or so after my assessment. It’s worth considering that you may have been quiet for no other reason than the fact you’re still processing a fairly monumental piece of news. 

There is a lot around about learning to unmask, but for me personally I’ve found more benefit in trying to understand how my autism affects me and making small adjustments. This has included making more use of noise-cancelling earphones and the decision of where I’m going to sit at work. 

• This is what I think may be happening, I've been exhausted (probably from processing everything) which does alter the way you feel and come across sometimes. 

I have done exactly the same, ordered my self two sets of "loop" earplugs - one for night time and blocking out sound and one that filters sound. I have also bought some books as I love to learn more about things and now knowing a formal diagnosis I can learn further about this new discovery :)

• This is what I think may be happening, I've been exhausted (probably from processing everything) which does alter the way you feel and come across sometimes. 

I have done exactly the same, ordered my self two sets of "loop" earplugs - one for night time and blocking out sound and one that filters sound. I have also bought some books as I love to learn more about things and now knowing a formal diagnosis I can learn further about this new discovery :)

Children
No Data