Dislike of dogs

Hi all,

I’ve been a bit hesitant to post this as we seem to live in a society where saying you’re not keen on dogs is viewed on the same level as saying you enjoy burning children’s Christmas presents, but here goes. 

I’ve always been very wary around dogs, and have never understood the growing fascination with owning/taking pictures of/talking about them. It’s not a fear as such - I just don’t really get it and I find them unpredictable. Particularly when their owners have them off the lead, and think shouting “It’s okay - he’s harmless!” as their four-legged friend bounds up to you is a substitute for being in control. This is exacerbated by the fact that I like running, and whenever I’m running towards someone walking a dog off the lead I automatically get anxious because I don’t know if it will keep calm or suddenly bolt and get under my feet as I run past. I even under up slowing down as I approach these situations as it causes me to hesitate!

I always just figured I was a bit miserable, but in the light of my ASD diagnosis I thought I’d put it out there to see if anyone felt similar? I see a lot about autistic people having a love of animals but not too much of the opposite, so I don’t have high hopes!

Parents
  • If a dog exists that isn’t noisy and into face-licking (vom) then that’s the one for me. It’s a cat isn’t it? 

• You can't have him! He's mine!

Of course I'm kidding, but my dog genuinely is very quiet and not much of a licker at all, so definitely not into face-licking. It's partly a breed thing (greyhound) but mostly just him being a bit odd, I think. He really does seem like a dog running on cat software.

• You can't have him! He's mine!

Of course I'm kidding, but my dog genuinely is very quiet and not much of a licker at all, so definitely not into face-licking. It's partly a breed thing (greyhound) but mostly just him being a bit odd, I think. He really does seem like a dog running on cat software.

Children
No Data