Have I ever had depression?

I recently realised I am Autistic after I retired from a long and successful career. Over the years I have repeatedly been treated for depression. Now I am wondering if I ever had depression. If not is there any point in me taking antidepressants. I am aware that I must not suddenly stop antidepressants and I will take it slowly and carefully and doubt I will ever stop altogether. I am aware that being Autistic does not mean I cannot also gave depression.

Has anyone else been though this?

Are there any neurophysiologists out there who can advise?

Parents
  • Not knowing your circumstances in detail, it’s pretty hard to say. I was diagnosed later in life and before diagnosis I went through cycles of depression which I now know was me experiencing autistic burn out. Burn out often comes with depression so you could well have been experiencing similar.

• Not knowing your circumstances in detail, it’s pretty hard to say. I was diagnosed later in life and before diagnosis I went through cycles of depression which I now know was me experiencing autistic burn out. Burn out often comes with depression so you could well have been experiencing similar.

Children
No Data