Hello!

Hiya, im a teenage girl, and have been struggling for years. Ever since I was a child I struggled. The teacher even told my parents to get me tested if I was deaf because I didnt listen. Anyways. Recently for the last year I have been thinking alot and doing lots of research about autism. 

Some of my ways is avoiding contact and when I do make eyecontact I feel like the other person is staring into my soul and I panic and look away. I also am sensitive to sounds and touch. Ever since I was young I'd go to places gatherings with my parents and I'd ask them if I could leave because id panic and over stimulate. I still am the same. Certain feelings make me feel uncomfortable and worried. I get obsessive about certain interests to the point I bore people. I'm extremely awkward and shy around people except close friends. I also like to work alone I am a mute in a group and loose focus easily. I also have a routine. I suppose ocd type behaviours. I'm just super unsure. I have more reasons to believe I might be on the spectrum but I want to maybe get diagnosed but I don't know.

Parents
  • Hey, welcome to the forum. Sounds like you’ll find a lot in common with many here. Have you spoken to your parents about a possible diagnosis or are these mainly private thoughts right now? It’s quiet on here right now but don’t let that put you off, you’ll have other people replying soon. 

• Hello! Thanks you so much! I tried but my parents don't understand really. Its hard as they dont get me.

• Hi there!  My advice is to approach your GP as I did---although late in life. Don't put it off, act now to get a referral.  You have a whole life ahead of you so get your support.  I would not  wish on anyone the trials and  tribulations | experienced throughout my life without knowing the reasons for them and how to deal with "knowing thyself".

• Hi there!  My advice is to approach your GP as I did---although late in life. Don't put it off, act now to get a referral.  You have a whole life ahead of you so get your support.  I would not  wish on anyone the trials and  tribulations | experienced throughout my life without knowing the reasons for them and how to deal with "knowing thyself".

Children
  • Hi Sarah, Thanks for your response.  Please dont think me rude for my belated response.  Unlike many who attend this great NAS community and who depend on it on a daily basis, I occasionaly have a look-in within my limitation.  I am not tied to my PC. I'm not a technophobic, but try to lead a balance between tech and my other interests, and more simply put --- my mind is only capable of absorbing what my bum will endure in the sitting position. ;-)

In answer to your worry I quote a snippet from Desiderata.  "Do not distress yourself with imaginings" 

• Hi Mike, I think you are really brave getting your diagnosis later on in life.  I'm almost 57 and worry that the GP will say why have I waited so long