What is that feeling?

I've always thought that I suffered from panic attacks. Usually in a stressful situation that I can't leave, like a form of claustrophobia.

But recently, when confronting my issues with this response I've started using earplugs in very busy places, and putting them in or taking them out feels almost like a switch to turn the panic on & off.

So, is this a meltdown I am describing, or in fact a panic attack? Do they seem the same to you? Can you differentiate between the two?

Parents
  • Meltdown and panic attacks are related. But this sounds more like a shutdown. Shutdown is kind of the same phenomena as meltdown, but exhibits in the opposite directionn; freeze rather than fight.

All these responses come up from the amagdala in response to sensory overload which is causing anxiety. Hence why you feel better with the plugs in. Panic, would see you hyperventilating.

• Meltdown and panic attacks are related. But this sounds more like a shutdown. Shutdown is kind of the same phenomena as meltdown, but exhibits in the opposite directionn; freeze rather than fight.

All these responses come up from the amagdala in response to sensory overload which is causing anxiety. Hence why you feel better with the plugs in. Panic, would see you hyperventilating.

Children
No Data