Any other twice-exceptional people here?

2E means you re intellectually gifted as well as having some sort of neurodiversity aka ASD, ADHD, dyslexia etc. I am AUADHD myself and always been above average in academics. Most people seem to think I'm very capable of handling myself but I really struggle with day-to-day tasks. I am completely timeblind so rely on my outlook calendar and auditory reminders for events. I also have a hard time interacting around neurotypical people as I can't seem to relate to them. Small talk drives me crazy Joy. The feeling that I don't really belong makes me feel depressed and anxious. However, I know that I am actually in quite a decent place, have stable income and I have very supportive parents (can't say that for the rest of my family though!) I just want to feel less alone.

Parents
  • AUADHD here. Just saw your post. People (family) refuse to believe my late diagnosis. Frustrating to hear people say,

"You don't look autistic." Seriously?!!! My doctor even said that. I wanted to ask WHERE she got her medical license!

I am... (here goes)... time blind, FACEblind, aphantasia, dyslexia, dyscalculia, ETC. I have always hid my "quirks" until COVID 19... and now these quirks are HARDER to hide. I went for ADHD testing for meds - and got autism also - (Asperger's - not used anymore - I know).

I have worked all my life, raised a child with Asperger's diagnosed and a child on the fringes of the spectrum. After COVID (delta) fever over 101.8 for 10 days (2021) | knew things were more pronounced - and I hit a WALL. So tired, could not function - healing from surgery took 8 months off work and sleeping

Yes, being able to function, work and socialize (for several hours - then SLEEP to reset) does have the downside of not "looking autistic." I no longer care what family say or how anyone feels about autism. I am ME - and I happen to also have autism.

I agree, NT's are so different. Even autistic people who are different from me can be a challenge. One child and I relate easily. I struggle with my other child - always have.

I also struggle with daily tasks. SCHEDULE and APPOINTMENTS are the biggest challenges for me!

I am simply thankful to finally know WHAT makes me so different from everyone else. 

Honestly, I like how I am. I am very conceptual (yes, odd for autism) and have many "giftings" that make my life fun (entertaining maybe?)!

IF you begin to struggle more than usual - I highly recommend finding a therapist for Neuro-Divergent people. I typed that in Google and found a fabulous therapist who has done a marvelous job helping me find easier ways to cope with family denial of my autism. (OUR family doesn't have autism... you are probably just looking for an excuse for your struggles.). Who actually WANTS AUTISM? Laughing!!!

Anyway, hope you are doing okay! I was surprised to see timeblind in your list!!! Not many know about what that is like - a real riot every time I miss appointments.... Glad you posted|

• AUADHD here. Just saw your post. People (family) refuse to believe my late diagnosis. Frustrating to hear people say,

"You don't look autistic." Seriously?!!! My doctor even said that. I wanted to ask WHERE she got her medical license!

I am... (here goes)... time blind, FACEblind, aphantasia, dyslexia, dyscalculia, ETC. I have always hid my "quirks" until COVID 19... and now these quirks are HARDER to hide. I went for ADHD testing for meds - and got autism also - (Asperger's - not used anymore - I know).

I have worked all my life, raised a child with Asperger's diagnosed and a child on the fringes of the spectrum. After COVID (delta) fever over 101.8 for 10 days (2021) | knew things were more pronounced - and I hit a WALL. So tired, could not function - healing from surgery took 8 months off work and sleeping

Yes, being able to function, work and socialize (for several hours - then SLEEP to reset) does have the downside of not "looking autistic." I no longer care what family say or how anyone feels about autism. I am ME - and I happen to also have autism.

I agree, NT's are so different. Even autistic people who are different from me can be a challenge. One child and I relate easily. I struggle with my other child - always have.

I also struggle with daily tasks. SCHEDULE and APPOINTMENTS are the biggest challenges for me!

I am simply thankful to finally know WHAT makes me so different from everyone else. 

Honestly, I like how I am. I am very conceptual (yes, odd for autism) and have many "giftings" that make my life fun (entertaining maybe?)!

IF you begin to struggle more than usual - I highly recommend finding a therapist for Neuro-Divergent people. I typed that in Google and found a fabulous therapist who has done a marvelous job helping me find easier ways to cope with family denial of my autism. (OUR family doesn't have autism... you are probably just looking for an excuse for your struggles.). Who actually WANTS AUTISM? Laughing!!!

Anyway, hope you are doing okay! I was surprised to see timeblind in your list!!! Not many know about what that is like - a real riot every time I miss appointments.... Glad you posted|

Children
No Data