This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Wedding

My sister is getting married and she wants me to go to her wedding! I'd forgotten all about it until she sent me a text last night. Weddings are the worst. There's so much noise and way too many people, half of which I wouldn't even know! And I'm not a dress wearing girl, more of a wear my jumper and jeans and stay in my room kinda girl.

How am I going to get out of this? It's the middle of February and I can't go. I get car sick. People freak me out. I have panic attacks and meltdowns.

Parents
  • Hi, is your sister understanding of you being autistic? Have you told your sister how stressful going to the wedding would be? 

Hopefully she will understand if you feel unable to go or if you think going will cause too much stress. 

Or if you ‘wanted’ to try going you could talk to her about some of the things you are worried about (dress code, too many people  etc.) and come up with a compromise like other people suggested

If you don’t go, you could even suggest to your sister that you do something at a later date together to ‘celebrate’ the wedding- like a nice meal together just with your sister and her husband or something even more low key. If that is something you felt up to and wanted to do. Maybe that could be a good compromise because you would still celebrate her wedding but in a more relaxed and enjoyable way for everyone. 

I hope you find a solution!

• Hi, is your sister understanding of you being autistic? Have you told your sister how stressful going to the wedding would be? 

Hopefully she will understand if you feel unable to go or if you think going will cause too much stress. 

Or if you ‘wanted’ to try going you could talk to her about some of the things you are worried about (dress code, too many people  etc.) and come up with a compromise like other people suggested

If you don’t go, you could even suggest to your sister that you do something at a later date together to ‘celebrate’ the wedding- like a nice meal together just with your sister and her husband or something even more low key. If that is something you felt up to and wanted to do. Maybe that could be a good compromise because you would still celebrate her wedding but in a more relaxed and enjoyable way for everyone. 

I hope you find a solution!

Children