Getting some building work completed - how do I do this?

I need to get some reliable builders to work on my house for a day or two and I have some questions:

1. I'm a pushover in negotiations - how can I avoid being ripped off?
  2. One job I need doing is outdoors - do I need to be on-hand at all times or can I disappear to work and leave them to it?
  3. How do I even find a reputable builder? I don't want to ask friends for recommendations as it might sour the friendship if anything is not right
  4. Is it worth mentioning to builders that I'm autistic?

Thanks in advance

Parents
  • 1. I would have a look at average prices on the internet from the type of job you want doing. If you need material for your jobs and you are purchasing them from a shop, you could also ask them at the shop how much labour would be on average?

2. I think that would be up to both you and the people you hire for the job. A lot of things to take into consideration for this one. (Probably no help there, sorry!)

3. There are lots of sites you can use where traders will post their services. They have to go through certain checks before they are advertised on these sites, so the website does some of the work for you. Sites like trust a trader and check a trade. 

4. This is totally up to you, and no one knows the right answer but you on this one. However, in my opinion, I don't see a reason to mention it. As much as you want to trust people out there, there are still some shady characters who may use who you are against you. 

Hope this helps.

• 1. I would have a look at average prices on the internet from the type of job you want doing. If you need material for your jobs and you are purchasing them from a shop, you could also ask them at the shop how much labour would be on average?

2. I think that would be up to both you and the people you hire for the job. A lot of things to take into consideration for this one. (Probably no help there, sorry!)

3. There are lots of sites you can use where traders will post their services. They have to go through certain checks before they are advertised on these sites, so the website does some of the work for you. Sites like trust a trader and check a trade. 

4. This is totally up to you, and no one knows the right answer but you on this one. However, in my opinion, I don't see a reason to mention it. As much as you want to trust people out there, there are still some shady characters who may use who you are against you. 

Hope this helps.

Children
  • I know it's been a while since you posted this, but I'm new here, and I thought I'd throw in my two cents. First things first, if you're worried about being ripped off, you should do some research on the average cost of the work you need done. That way, you'll have a better idea of what's reasonable to pay. And if you're not comfortable negotiating, you could always ask a friend or family member to do it for you.

• I know it's been a while since you posted this, but I'm new here, and I thought I'd throw in my two cents. First things first, if you're worried about being ripped off, you should do some research on the average cost of the work you need done. That way, you'll have a better idea of what's reasonable to pay. And if you're not comfortable negotiating, you could always ask a friend or family member to do it for you.