Am I atypical even among autistics? (Not wanting promotion/advancement at work)

I’ve been dipping into Autistimatic videos on YT ever since someone on here (Maurisz I think?) kindly posted a link one day. Was just watching the one on ‘what’s so difficult about being autistic?’ And while it is, as ever, excellently presented and validating in many respects, one thing made me feel deeply uncomfortable. The presenter’s assumption that those of us on stable employment sit in agony as we watch others get promoted, wishing we could be them.

This made me feel very unseen as someone who has come to realise that I’m at the maximum comfortable level of responsibility/duties for me, and suited ‘only’ to an exclusively reactive (not delegatory or innovative) role. I have found a perfect niche and would hate to give that up for any amount of ‘status’ (who cares about that?) or money (always nice to have more but if you’re miserable/stressed and in danger of being sacked for being a square peg… what’s the point?) and yet the guy just puts everyone into an actually fairly NT box- conventionally aspirational but confounded due to our differences coming under prejudiced scrutiny only. As someone who has, against my better instincts (and often only in response to ‘you’d be mad not to..’ comments from those who’d stop thinking about that pronouncement mere seconds later while I let the implied weight of expectation torture me for weeks) applied for higher grade posts in the past - not something I plan to do again any time soon, and probably ever- only to not succeed I actually believe that the interviewing system worked well in my case, weeding out my tendency towards abstraction when trying to conceptualise coping in a world of macro-view pragmatism, and favouring those who could come in with concise bullet points laying out a ‘this is what I will do’ strategy with no problem whatsoever. Should I feel it was an injustice or a mercy? I’m strongly inclined towards feeling the latter, especially since diagnosis. Is it ok to feel this way? Is it pathetic to do so, even in supposed safe spaces like here?

Does anyone on here identify with what I’m saying or am I a lone voice and total weirdo? Just authentic agreement please, or disagreement of course, about whether it’s ok to think/feel as I do. Freaking out slightly here after watching something that I thought would’ve inclusive of me rather than making me an outsider even among outsiders. Not the presenter’s intention… I think? I’m confused to be honest! Am I abnormally autistic so to speak? Am I ‘doing it wrong’ by lacking ambition to transcend my best fit?  

• I agree with that need for balance. Some daily dependable routine within one’s own domain, and at one’s work station. But an acceptance that the day will offer variations (welcome or otherwise) that will use up ‘spoons’ to some inevitable degree, and that internally resisting too much will only use up more of them. But I find that easiest to do when the ratios are within my coping limits, and my present gig is therefore the one I intend to keep long term. Creative flourishes in the margins of one’s life can balance the familiarity/difference ratio well too. Like learning a new piece of music on a familiar instrument. Or contributing to a personal or collective (as I have done of late) creative project that tentatively steps a little out of one’s comfort zone. 

• That's interesting. This thread was making me think of Convenience Store Woman, a Japanese novel where everyone looks down on the (likely autistic) main character because she enjoys working in a convenience store and doesn't aspire to anything more.

• Alan Watts preached quite a bit of sense back in the day.....a man of his time but with acquired wisdom from more ancient traditions and teaching.  It is a heady mix to ingest, but well worth the effort in my opinion.

• I like Alan Watts. I've had a bit of this lately. I'm going through a rough patch and so feeling a bit inadequate and insecure in life.  Again I've been measuring myself against others in my situation in terms of health but everyone's different. It came to me the other day that I'm still really lucky and I've actually got a really good life and its still how I want things just a bit different.  I'm putting too much pressure on myself. So only really to start bothering if any *** hits any fans which im not expecting it to. And yes jyst relax about it. I should take my own advice! 

• I think with my level of focus I could effectively manage just fine, but I would be concerned despite my social skills I would still be a bit too blunt and step on toes in a managerial position (though maybe this is a good thing? who knows) but I certainly understand the sentiment of not wanting to be responsible for others as that also requires relying on others to prove my own competence rather than simply relying on myself to prove my competence. So the sensible voice in me would also say don't take that role because I know it would be a fast track to stress and more likely burnout.

• You should point it out in comments to that video, I'm sure he will be happy about it. It's difficult job to picture as wide frame to encompass all autistic. I think I haven't watched that one.

If I had a chance I would do what you did. I'm avoiding any and all jobs where I would be responsible for others anyway. It's one of most dreaded scenarios, to be forced to become manager.

But there is another side of that coin - to become complacent and fall into stagnancy, becoming more vulnerable and fragile, prone to become stressed with slightest changes. Still there are other ways to keep devolping self, it doesn't have to happen at work. But stagnancy is and I always believed it, the worst a human can do to self.

One of prevention strategies i developed is to routinise only some elements of daily life, those that can't be influenced by acts of others. e.g. morning routine to the point of leaving house to work, past that I don't excpect things to happen always the way I got used to do them.

• It’s only easier ‘up there’ if you can innovate, delegate, and be proactive. And be a bit of a blue skies thinker. As well as being responsible (usually) for appraising and coordinating others. I have no more hope of becoming instinctively (or even via practice) good at that than getting to the moon. I accept it, I’m glad to have fully understood it (and why), and I even feel gratitude that that is not to be my fate. 

So in fact I think most high-ups earn their pay (not in every sphere of course) via a stress and responsibility ratio way in excess of anything I could handle. It’s no walk in the park for sure. 

• Alan Watts once said that if you do t know what you want, then either you haven’t found it yet or you already have it and just haven’t noticed. Paraphrasing! But you get the idea. I’m lucky enough to have been in category two but realised, and should just relax about that instead of feeling I ‘should’ be as restless as everyone else. 

• then ofcourse wed get pissed when we see lazier people who put in les effort or have only just recently joined and not earned their place get promoted above you and praised when you never even so much as got praise and worked million times harder... that makes you feel like crap

• well .. its complicated... because at first we dont want a job, we consider it a waste of life and see it as not living and just throwing your lifes time away because society says so, so alot of us struggle to even get into work or get past the thought of it.... but then when we luckily get into work, we either quit, or if we got past that quitting phase and begin to forge a life, in my experience i dont care about promotion.... i more care about job stability.... but yes, promotion can make your job more stable and make it so when they need to let staff go youd be safe as your promoted above others so the lower downs will get sacked first. but security is the only real reason to want promotion, pay is never really that much of a upgrade... work is usually less though as all the higher up positions get lazier and lazier while all the lower down work positions do all the hard graft.

so if you want easier job doing less work for a tiny bit more pay and much more job security then yes youd want a promotion.

• This is so true, I was watching a documentary just about people's lives in other countries and in Japan there is a guy who had the dream of becoming a train driver (yes that's right, driver, not CEO of the rail company) and in the culture there it is considered good enough because he's doing an important job and it's enough for him because it makes him happy.
    It really makes you think how messed up it is in the west that people think you need to aspire to riches, fame, or titles just to be satisfied with their job.
    I think anyone can be considered a sucess at their job if they can get a living wage (enough to pay bills and fund their hobbies with a healthy work-life balance) and a bit of job satisfaction. I think when we are younger we do title-chase but as we get older and have to manage our energy better though that more low-key sucess does become the more realistic dream for many.

• This was alluded to in another thread last week. What is normal for anyone really!? You can't have normally autistic. There are some shared aspects but many that are different.

• Why would you ever want to 'transcend your best fit'?

I love this!

• Not because we are stupid but because we are smart enough to see what will not fit well and cause stress.

This was my experience and I'm thankful that I had started to have inklings of AS around this time. It made me stop and think.  Previously I woukd have jumped at the chance. Then struggled and masked and got more stressed as I was trying to do what everyone else does which is climb the ladder. I think, especially because of the processes we go through in getting diagnosed as adults, we maybe end up understanding ourselves FAR more than people who haven't been through it and so we could have different perspectives in that we are more aware of what is better suited for us in life rather than doing what is automatically expected. 

Your last paragraph....I think it's hard. ..when we finally find answers to ourselves but then some of it doesn't sit right...maybe a feeling of needing to belong, finally finding that...but not quite.....I think it's to do with black and white thinking maybe. ...but it's never all or nothing. I can't relate to a lot of stuff I read about AS but I'm sure as more and more comes out we will find some we have more in common with than others. Remember whatever you watch or read is only ever ONE perspective of anything. I think sometimes we just need reassurance. 

Sounds like you're doing just fine as you are!

• I suppose I should also feel lucky. Those who get restless do so because comfort (which for them might lie in new horizons, challenge, greener grass) eludes them if they stay put. For me, comfort is staying put - in the right thing. Which I know I have. 

• You’re always so nice to me, thanks Debbie! I’m a poet and didn’t know itSlight smile

• I need to start just owning my individuality a lot more  unapologetically I think! 

I agree.

• There is also the Peter Principle that people are promoted to their level of incompetence, so you are probably wise staying where you know you excel.

• I don't think you're "abnormally autistic". I'm not currently in a situation where promotion is an issue, but certainly in the past I wanted to find a niche where I was comfortable and stay there, not climb the promotion ladder.

I do find that "autism" covers so many different types of people that it's easily to feel "differently autistic" or "too autistic" or "not autistic enough" when compared with others. I've never really had a sense of autistic people as a "tribe" where everyone thinks just like me, although I know lots of people do feel that way.