Creative work

Does anyone else think that us autistic people are not really suited to the regimented 9-5? Ive always struggled with work but the thing is im not adversed to hard work, I just cant cope with the "norm" of regimented shifts and work hours, plus bosses expectations of me which I never understand and the pressure of constant social interaction all day

For me being a writer from home would be my ideal job. I write a lot, mostly articles but I wonder if I should make a go of writing a novel. I started one about 3 years ago but havnt written in it for a while. I am thinking of writing short stories for magazines too

I wonder if us autistic people are more suited to creative jobs where we can be our own boss. Does anyone else every find this?

Parents
  • I dont know about creativity but when I'm off work my circadian rhythms follow a more natural pattern for me which isn't waking up at the crack of sparrows. There's something completely unnatural about being shocked awake every morning by an alarm. Is it any wonder people start the day on high alert. I did some evening work last year and I felt much calmer travelling to work in the opposite direction to everyone coming home and the expectation felt different to daytime work. And far fewer people about in work. I just think in this day and age, with more flexible working, there should be far more adjustments to allow people to do their job in the best environment and time of day for them. If we are more comfortable and less anxious surely that would make more productive workers. 

• I dont know about creativity but when I'm off work my circadian rhythms follow a more natural pattern for me which isn't waking up at the crack of sparrows. There's something completely unnatural about being shocked awake every morning by an alarm. Is it any wonder people start the day on high alert. I did some evening work last year and I felt much calmer travelling to work in the opposite direction to everyone coming home and the expectation felt different to daytime work. And far fewer people about in work. I just think in this day and age, with more flexible working, there should be far more adjustments to allow people to do their job in the best environment and time of day for them. If we are more comfortable and less anxious surely that would make more productive workers. 

Children