Loud Noises

Does anybody have any experience with noise and anger?

Loud noises can sometimes send me into an absolute rage. Its not all noises, I like music and even like it loud sometimes. But other noises such as ice-cream van chimes or church bells affect me very badly. I don’t know if its an ASD thing or a normal reaction to sounds I don’t like.

I used to just try and ignore it and carry on, but I think I am getting less tolerant as I am getting older. I used to just try and push through it and carry on, but now even the tannoy in a supermarket makes me have to leave my shopping and go home.

Parents
  • Yes. "Like nails on a chalboard" was always a literal description imo. I cannot stand clocks that tick, vocal clutter (it's not even white noise because white noise would be somehow okay) of being in a crowded place with lots of people talking, there's so many it would be impossible to list but just to illustrate a point I even hate those "lo-fi for relaxing/studying" vids on youtube.
    If there's noise to be relaxing it has to be wall-to-wall and feel safe (it has to be predictable or at least I go into it knowing what I'm going to get, ie a long lull and then suddenly a whale sound is the anti-relax, while the expected roar of the lead singer of a metal band is soothing), and it if it is a single, loud stand-alone noise it has to be dull not sharp. Eg. why my partner has been banned from chopping on the glass cutting board (that one is for slicing) the wood or plastic one is for chopping.

• Yes. "Like nails on a chalboard" was always a literal description imo. I cannot stand clocks that tick, vocal clutter (it's not even white noise because white noise would be somehow okay) of being in a crowded place with lots of people talking, there's so many it would be impossible to list but just to illustrate a point I even hate those "lo-fi for relaxing/studying" vids on youtube.
    If there's noise to be relaxing it has to be wall-to-wall and feel safe (it has to be predictable or at least I go into it knowing what I'm going to get, ie a long lull and then suddenly a whale sound is the anti-relax, while the expected roar of the lead singer of a metal band is soothing), and it if it is a single, loud stand-alone noise it has to be dull not sharp. Eg. why my partner has been banned from chopping on the glass cutting board (that one is for slicing) the wood or plastic one is for chopping.

Children
No Data